A Conversation for The Blasted Heath : A Sanctuary for Challenged Gardeners

Box Blight

Post 1

Seth of Rabi

Wilf,

I missed Gardener's World tonight. Apparently Pippa Greenwood had a bad case of Box Blight to treat and I was particularly disappointed to not to see this item. Can you shed any light on this area?


Box Blight

Post 2

Wilfrid is 42 (1x7x3+0+21)

smiley - biggrin

I'll look into it, Seth


Box Blight

Post 3

Wilfrid is 42 (1x7x3+0+21)

Oh, well, here goes then!!

Box Blight has got a bit more serious recently due to the arrival of a new strain from Europe (Cylindrocladium blight), which very often co-infects with the old native Volutella blight. There are no sprays available for this condition, and control is purely down to hygiene.

Like most fungal diseases, Box Blight tends to take hold in warm humid poorly ventilated conditions (harrumph). I presume Pippa has been keeeping her's formally clipped for decorative puposes. This increases congestion of what is already a very dense bush, and provides damaged areas through which infection can enter. (cough)

Best bet is to prune right back and let the air get at it, taking care to burn all the clippings. Then put the shears away for a couple of seasons to encourage a more open and natural habit.


Box Blight

Post 4

Seth of Rabi

Very informative and beautifully put, Wilf. Do you prefer the formally clipped box, or the more natural bushy growth as nature intended?


Box Blight

Post 5

I'm not really here

smiley - laugh


Box Blight

Post 6

Seth of Rabi

Come on Wilf, answer the question smiley - winkeye


Box Blight

Post 7

Wilfrid is 42 (1x7x3+0+21)

smiley - ok then,

Me, I'd uproot the lot and plant rhubarb !

Seth, I see you around from time to time. Drop in for a chat smiley - cheers


Box Blight

Post 8

Seth of Rabi

Do you perchance serve smiley - ale in this establishment ?


Box Blight

Post 9

Wilfrid is 42 (1x7x3+0+21)

We do indeed, Seth

:: pours smiley - alesmiley - ale ::

Down the dandelions smiley - cheers


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more