A Conversation for The Cricket Pavillion

The Bar

Post 1

Swiv (decrepit postgrad)

*arrives from practise in the indoor nets*
hmmm
smiley - stiffdrinksmiley - stiffdrink all round please


The Bar

Post 2

Eusebio - squad number 11

*runs in* ~pant ... pant~

make mine a smiley - stout please!

*starts boring everyone about his batting prowess*

"... hit a few sixes you know ..."


The Bar

Post 3

There is only one thing worse than being Gosho, and that is not being Gosho

*Leans up against the bar with a smiley - ale and tries to outbore Mickey Thomas' Right Foot*

".....Well, you know, I once had Michael Holding send a few fizzers down the track to me .... of course, that was when I was living in Accrington and he was playing in The Lancashire League....."


The Bar

Post 4

Major Hazard

* wanders in, having followed the other two from the nets

"mines an smiley - ale if you would be so kind barman."

*Joins in the group bore

"You know, I met an intersting chap the other week, name of P.K. played test cricket for India - toured England in '64 and scored a ton...any crisps?"


The Bar

Post 5

There is only one thing worse than being Gosho, and that is not being Gosho

What ho Major! Care for some of mine? Salt and vinegar.


The Bar

Post 6

Swiv (decrepit postgrad)

*turns down the offer of crisps in favour of some Dundee cake*
there is Dundee cake isn't there?

*tries to avoid the bores at the bar, but happens to mention the wonderful pitch she prepared for the last West Indies test match*


The Bar

Post 7

There is only one thing worse than being Gosho, and that is not being Gosho

It was hard, fast, and true I expect smiley - smiley


The Bar

Post 8

Major Hazard

* reaches for salt & vinegar crisp, while looking around for dundee cake, misses and puts hand in St. Goshoogoshoogosh's pint - withdraws hand in horror and wipes surreptitiously on bar towel.

Can you prepare turning wickets too? a bit of spin can really slow down the run rate at the right time - I managed 3 in an over once using offspin, not quite a hat trick but turned the game...did you say something about dundee cake?


The Bar

Post 9

Swiv (decrepit postgrad)

Yes, Goshoogoshoogosh makes stunning Dundee cake - holds up as well as my wickets
I mean the roses are feed on them , and look at them!

*removes bar towel from the Major, and replenishes everyones smiley - alesmiley - stout and smiley - stiffdrink*


The Bar

Post 10

Bogwoppit

Hi, Cricket fans. I just popped in to say that I am thinking of writing a Test Match Special (TMS) Guide entry. Do any of you have any thoughts on this? I am particulary interested in any links to other entries I could put in and your thoughts on what TMS lovers would like to see in the entry are welcome. I have put a heading on my home space for discussion of this, so we don't clog up the bar. Hope to see you there (after my hols)smiley - biggrin.


The Bar

Post 11

Swiv (decrepit postgrad)

ok, will pop over when I'm back from my holiday
methinks of the top of me head that you need a quotes section
"and Botham can't quite get his leg over" type of thing

cool name btw, is that from the book - it used to be my kiddy nickname (thanx parents)


The Bar

Post 12

Bogwoppit

Yes my name is from the book - indirectly. The book was serialised on Jack-a-nory on Childrens TV in the late seventies, my initials were BW, some joker in the class, put the two together and here we are. Fortunately the name only survives in the family as I have lost touch with everyone from school!


The Bar

Post 13

Bogwoppit

Hi, great idea about the quotes. I hope to hear from you after hols.
Yes the name is from the book - indirectly. The book was serialised on Jack-a-nory (Childrens TV) in the late seventies, my initials were BW, some joker in the class put the two together and it stuck. Fortunately I've lost touch with everyone from school, so it just remains in the family. smiley - smiley


The Bar

Post 14

There is only one thing worse than being Gosho, and that is not being Gosho

*Settles into a comfortable chair in the TV room, with gin and tonic at hand, in readiness for the beginning of The Ashes series*


The Bar

Post 15

Swiv (decrepit postgrad)

*hides well away from the Ashes*
Is nothing going right in British sport this weekend...

Cool Bogwoppit, my nickname came from the Jackanory show version as well, I only read the book last year, when I came accross it by chance.


The Bar

Post 16

Bogwoppit

Just returned from cowering in France to hide from the first test humiliation, resurfacing for the next match tomorrow. smiley - stiffdrinkGULP!smiley - stiffdrinkGULP!smiley - stiffdrinkSluurrp...

Hey Swiv, you must have been a small ball of fluff when you got the nickname according to your homepage stats; unless like me you are graduating at a more mature age! (My graduation ceremony is on Friday) I was about 10 when I got christened Bogwoppit. I never have read the book though. I'll have to get it from the library.

The TMS Guide entry is now under construction. Visit A596018 to see my early effort. Loads of input needed (all researchers will be listed of course).

Finishes smiley - stiffdrink...
See ya all, drown the sorrows on Sunday?


The Bar

Post 17

Swiv (decrepit postgrad)

no, I was a small ball of black fur and webbed feet back then
I'm just going into my second year, after taking a gap year..
my parents watched Jackanory, I think I was probably asleep on their knees

*prepares to run away from 2nd test scores*


The Bar

Post 18

Bogwoppit

I've been too depressed to come out recently. However, a week seems to dull the raw edge of memory of defeat. I also had some really good news at work today. India lost to New Zealand. Now all we need is for India to tour here and humiliate England even further!

Only three more tests to go!

I haven't progressed much with my TMS site. I've got a load of stuff to type up, but haven't done it yet!

If only it would rain for the rest of the summer we could draw the remaining three games, do you think raindances are anti-competitive?


The Bar

Post 19

Swiv (decrepit postgrad)

quite possibly, perhaps we could just pray for the Aussies to come down with some bug or other
don't know which method would work to the best effect..


The Bar

Post 20

Bogwoppit

I just popped in to tell you that I have finished hearing "Bogwoppit" on cassette. The books were all out, so had to get it on tape from the library. I'm definitely a british bogwoppit because I have blue eyes!

I'm just listening to the fourth test fourth day, raining of course! Waiting to hear if the Australians will declare! smiley - stiffdrink


Key: Complain about this post