The Post Recipe

0 Conversations

A pink pie

Pink Pie

For those of us in the northern hemisphere, summer is in full swing, and we're looking for ways to beat the heat. We're also looking for ways to use up all those berries and cherries and other fruits ripening before our eyes. So here's a way to do both... This recipe involves very little baking and few ingredients, and is reasonably low on sugar.

If you don't feel like heating up the oven even for a few minutes, use a prepared pie crust, or make one from biscuit crumbs mixed with melted butter. Otherwise, a shortbread pie crust is a matter of fifteen minutes, and you can bake it in the cool evening.

    Crust ingredients

  • 150g / 1¼ cup flour (you can replace up to one third with ground nuts, if you like)
  • 80g / 6 tbsp butter or margarine
  • 40g / 3 tbsp sugar

Knead the ingredients together into a slightly crumbly dough, tip it into a greased pie tin or spring form pan, and just squish it onto the bottom and up the sides with your fingers - no need for rolling! Just make sure there's not too much dough in the angle between the bottom and the side. Bake it for ten to twelve minutes at 175° C / 350° F, and let it cool.

    Filling ingredients

  • at least 250g1 raspberries - though it's nicer to be bit more generous
  • 200g / 1 cup whipping cream
  • 150g / ¾ cup plain yoghurt
  • 3 tbsp sugar

Set 8 or 12 raspberries aside for decoration. Mix the rest with two tablespoons of sugar, and mash them up with a fork, then stir in the yoghurt. Whip the cream into soft peaks in a separate bowl with the remaining tablespoon of sugar (use vanilla sugar, if you like). Carefully fold it into the raspberries so it doesn't all collapse. Sample the mixture - it should be just right, refreshingly tart, but if your over-sugared taste buds simply can't take it, carefully add just a bit more sugar.

Pour the mixture into the cooled crust, decorate with the leftover berries, and pop the whole thing in the freezer for at least three or four hours, until it's frozen through. Take it out about half an hour before serving, flex the pan to loosen the crust, and then put it into the refrigerator to soften slightly, so there will be fewer ice crystals.

You can use other fruit instead of the raspberries - cherries are charming, gooseberries are grand, peaches are perfect, strawberries are superb, nectarines are nice, bananas are beautiful, even plums are possible. Remember to remove the pits or stones, though. Peel the larger fruit, and chop it into smaller pieces. You'll need to leave the firmer fruits sitting for half an hour or so after you sprinkle them with sugar (and a little lemon juice so they don't go brown) to draw out the juice, then mash them with a potato masher or purée them in a blender if you want a smoother texture. Bananas probably don't need any extra sugar at all, while tarter fruits might need a little more.

Why not be totally decadent and serve this pie for breakfast? It has yoghurt and fruit, so it's practically a health food! smiley - winkeye

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

We would also be happy to feature your own personal favourite recipe
but do remember that you should not submit anything which may be
copyright. Send your suggestions or recipes to The
Post Team
.

Recipe Archive

Malabarista

09.07.09 Front Page

Back Issue Page

1A little over half a pound.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A54064794

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


References

h2g2 Entries

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more