A Conversation for Favourite Songs of all Time

What? No Nirvana?

Post 1

Arthbard

There's plenty of good music on this list, but I was kind of shocked at some of the songs that made it on (I mean, come on...Shaggy? smiley - hangoverI've always felt that bad 80's pop songs should remain in the 80's). What really surprised me, though, was that not one song by Nirvana (arguably the most influential band of the 90's) was listed.smiley - yikes

With that in mind, I vote for "Smells Like Teen Spirit" as my favorite song (Not because I think it's, necessarily their best song, but it's probably their most popular and, therefore, more likely to get voted on).

As for number two...Well, okay, I know this probably won't get many votes, but "My Name is Mud" by Primus.

And finally, number three: The theme from Star Wars by John Williams.


What? No Nirvana?

Post 2

tom the tea drinker (with a towel and a bag o' peanuts)

Yo Arthbard,You really like Nirvana?! Nirvana is my top band! so,i guess i'll vote for Smells like Teen Spirit,too. You are right, it is the most popular, that's why i'm votin for it. you like memerobila? i'll put it for number two. I'm pretty young, so i don't know all the older groups, so who is Primus? ? ? ?

~Tom


What? No Nirvana?

Post 3

Eternity (Ace)

Unfortunately there is no accounting for taste smiley - ill. What is on the list is what has been voted for. I can't say I agree with most of the choices, but hey, I only had three votes!smiley - biggrin

Eternity


What? No Nirvana?

Post 4

Arthbard

Thank's I'm glad someone else out there is listening to Nirvana. Primus, by the way isn't really an older band, but they are pretty obscure (though they do have a dedicated fan base). Most people don't know them, because they don't really get any radio play (unless you count the song they recently recorded with Ozzy Osbourne, which isn't really a good example of their work). If you've ever seen "South Park," they perform the main theme. Their music tends to be a little strange, but if you give it a chance, it really starts to grow on you.


What? No Nirvana?

Post 5

vogonpoet (AViators at A13264670)

Hey, just thought I should mention I too would vote for Smells Like Teen Spirit - Nirvana were brilliant.

(In fact, I had a virutal mosh to it not long ago at Em's birthday party here at h2g2 smiley - biggrin check it out:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/h2g2/guide/FFM41569?thread=118421&skip=40&show=20#p1016946smiley - smiley Was lots of fun)


What? No Nirvana?

Post 6

Arthbard

Hey, everybody, check the list. "Smells Like Teen Spirit" is at number eight smiley - smiley. Not too shabby. Just thought I'd let everyone know. *sniff* I feel so happy. I'd like to send a special thank you out to everyone else who voted for Nirvana. Yes, this is for all...um...two of you. Still, number eight...


What? No Nirvana?

Post 7

Peaceful Dragon (napping)

Let me admit straight away that I'm not even sure what Nirvana is, but I vote for them anyway, just for the pleasure of kissing up to you!


What? No Nirvana?

Post 8

Arthbard

I never understood why they never added that one as an official smiley...


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more