Negotiating with Car Dealers

2 Conversations

U135497

Buying a car from a dealer can be much like selling your soul to the Devil: it will seem like a good deal at the time, but sooner or later you'll bump into someone who parted with a lot less and seems to have got a lot more. Such people are irritatingly smug, yet we would all like to know how they manage it.

The difference between car dealers and the Devil is, well actually no-one can be sure that there is a difference. The difference between car dealers and you is that while they deal with ordinary mortals like yourself every week, you will probably deal with car dealers just a few days in your entire life. That's not much time to pick up on the skills you need to play them at their own game.

That's where this entry comes in. If you've ever done battle with a dealer and found a way to lower his price, share your tip here and help save future buyers from the indignity of the Bank Manager Grovel. If you're just off to lock horns with a smooth-talking car salesman, check here for the advice you need to ruin his day!

Know someone in the Trade

Your friend is undoubtedly in league with the Devil. However, let him negotiate for you and he'll probably save you a fortune. Even if you pay a negotiating fee, you will probably still drive away with a maximum smugness factor.

Trade-Ins

If you offer an old car to trade in, chances are the dealer will offer you a good price for it to secure the deal. However, he probably doesn't really want the overhead cost of trying to flog on your old banger - offer to forget about the trade-in element of the deal in return for a few hundred quid off the new car. The beauty of this is that you needn't have ever been serious about offering the old car in the first place (handy if you don't have an old car of your own, but you know someone who does).

Warranty

Make sure you negotiate a good warranty. For less than £30 a garage can tell you if anything needs doing to your new car, and necessary work will be carried out for free under good warranties from reputable dealers. However, if you think your dealer is less than trustworthy, you'll need to make him do any necessary work or knock the price of such work off the car before you part with your cash. Even if you fork out £100 for an independent pre-sale inspection, it doesn't take much to be wrong with the car for that to turn into a fair old saving.

All the Extras

When you buy a car, there are always loads of little things you end up needing to buy. It all adds up, so push for everything free of charge, particularly:

  • Full year's MoT (£35)
  • Valet - this is the least you should expect!
  • 12 months' road tax (Typically £155)
  • Delivery
  • Full tank of fuel
  • Floor mats - front and back
  • Stereo - even if you have to buy a stereo yourself, you can still ask to have it fitted for free

Timing

Go to the dealer at the end of the month, since dealers must either sell the cars or pay interest on the money they borrowed to buy the cars to sell and are a little more willing to deal. Even better, buy just before the new number plate comes in1 and the dealers want to clear their forecourts to make way for cars with the new plates.

There are loads more ways to hammer down the price of your new car - please please use the conversation forum to pass on your methods and help us all make car dealers everywhere miserable!
1A twice-yearly occurence in Great Britain, when the prefix letter of the number plates for new cars changes to the next letter in the alphabet

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A538913

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Credits

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more