A Conversation for GG: Dublin, Ireland

A536474 - Dublin, Ireland

Post 41

Gnomon - time to move on

Ta P - I love a concrete recommendation rather than an abstract "I may pick it next month" smiley - winkeye


A536474 - Dublin, Ireland

Post 42

Gnomon - time to move on

Kaeori, profuse apologies to you for the message I just left to P. I posted it before I discovered that he had promised to pick your article next month. I'm delighted that P picked my article, but I hope that someone else picks yours and you don't have to wait three weeks.

G


A536474 - Dublin, Ireland

Post 43

Kaeori

No need to apologise, I agree with P entirely.smiley - smiley My article is a lightweight first-timer, whereas yours is polished, professional and wonderful. I don't really expect mine to get in, but it has been fun to have it discussed by my peers.

If it came to a vote (which it wouldn't, because this is a totalitarian regime, not a liberal democracy), I'd be voting for Dublin - while sipping on my cappuccino, of course!smiley - winkeye

(BTW, Dancing Ermine - thanks for the link, I duly posted the suggestion, and have received a response.)

smiley - coffee


A536474 - Dublin, Ireland

Post 44

Pheroneous

Excuse me... You are both wrong! Given the opportunity, I would have favoured a newcomer (to the world of PR) any time, by considerable odds. Unfortunately, I only get three choices per month, and had already used them (to include Dublin - the process takes a few days sometimes, especially for me as my choices tend to the idiosynchratic) by the time I saw Cappucino. So now, I either wait until my turn comes round again, or watch in exasperation while some other scout snaffles K (as it were!)


A536474 - Dublin, Ireland

Post 45

Gnomon - time to move on

K-snaffling - the civilised alternative to bear baiting!


A536474 - Dublin, Ireland

Post 46

Kaeori

Ooh, exciting - I don't think I've been snaffled before!smiley - smiley

*consults dictionary*

Oh, so this is a special Brit Eng word (origin unknown). This is clearly the wrong thread in which to be snaffled, then.

smiley - coffee


A536474 - Dublin, Ireland

Post 47

Is mise Duncan

If you have time and fair weather, I'd definitely recommend a walk through the Merrion Square park.
The land that forms the square was originally donated to the church for them to build a cathedral on. In a rare moment of clarity they decided that this site was so near to St. Patricks cathedral as to make building another one a bit daft so they donated the land to the people of Dublin on the proviso that they looked after it.
Oddly they did and it is now a beautiful city centre park absolutely awash with tulips at this time of year.
If all comes to pass as we wish then it is in this park that I shall be having my wedding photos taken sum 14 months hence...smiley - smiley


A536474 - Dublin, Ireland

Post 48

Gnomon - time to move on

Congratulations, Dot, on your forthcoming marriage. I'm also glad that you will be staying in Ireland. Will this be a registry office wedding? If so, please note that the Registry Office does not open on Saturdays (at least it didn't last year. It may now.) Also, it is almost impossible to park anywhere near the Registry Office. A good idea if you've a lot of guests is to hire a coach and pick them up from the hotel. That way they can leave their cars at the hotel.


A536474 - Dublin, Ireland

Post 49

Is mise Duncan

No registry involved - we hope to have the service at St. Patricks(college, not Cathedral smiley - winkeye ) and the reception at the Davenport. All of this will probably be on a Friday as the Saturdays are _already_ booked!
I shall be putting this together in an article "How to marry an irish wonman" smiley - winkeye when the TB restrictions are lifted.


A536474 - Dublin, Ireland

Post 50

Gnomon - time to move on

The only major problem with St Patrick's College (Drumcondra) is trying to turn right as you come out the gate.


Congratulations!

Post 51

h2g2 auto-messages

Editorial Note: This thread has been moved out of the Peer Review forum because this entry has now been recommended for the Edited Guide.

If they have not been along already, the Scout who recommended your entry will post here soon, to let you know what happens next. Meanwhile you can find out what will happen to your entry here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/h2g2/guide/SubEditors-Process

Congratulations!


A536474 - Dublin, Ireland

Post 52

Azara

If this is mainly a tourist guide, one other thing which might be useful is a short paragraph about literary Dublin. Many visitors are interested in the fact that Dublin is the birthplace of writers like George Bernard Shaw, Samuel Beckett, James Joyce, Oscar Wilde, Bram Stoker etc. and want to visit sites connected with them. The Dublin Writers' Museum is a handy place for these kind of tourists, and you could add the Dublin Literary Pub Crawl to the tours, or mention the Bloomsday celebrations.

Azara


A536474 - Dublin, Ireland

Post 53

Gnomon - time to move on

Thanks, Azara, for that note about the Dublin Writer's Museum. Unfortunately I've been away for the last two weeks and have only just seen it. I think it may be too late, as my entry is already "Pending" which means all the subediting work is finished and it is in the queue to appear on the front page. At this stage, I think it would have to go in as a separate entry. Would you like to oblige and write an entry on Literary Dublin?


A536474 - Dublin, Ireland

Post 54

Is mise Duncan

We will be able to turn left out of St. Patricks college, as the move from the "Davenport" to the "Killiney Court" means we can bypass the city centre altogether....


Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for GG: Dublin, Ireland

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more