A Conversation for Helen, Georgia, USA

Helen, Georgia, USA

Post 1

Two Bit Trigger Pumping Moron

This morning, my wife and I were talking about where we'd like to go on a day trip and she came up with Helen. I did a quick search of the guide, and took the article with us.

Helen is pretty surreal. There's something fundamentally wrong with having a town in Georgia that looks like an amusement park version of Germany.

The best advise for anyone thinking about visiting is to park as soon as possible. You can walk much faster than you can drive. Most parking areas cost $2. There's free parking at the welcome center though.

While you're at the welcome center, you can pick up a brochure about the town. The brochure explains the history of the town and the reason it looks like it does.

The guy playing the instrument is Ekim Beau. I told him about the guide, and he said that he remembers someone else from the guide. I guess you made an impression. His instrument is the CrossBeau Zither. It's a unique instrument which is apparently loosely based on the conventional zither (see http://www.bbc.co.uk/h2g2/guide/A486074). There will be a link to his web page on my personal page for a little while.

Mr. Beau plays the instrument at the Wildewood Shop on River Street. The shop has some geodes, pretty rocks and more wind chimes than you can shake a stick at.

There seems to be a lot to do in the area. There's another small touristy town just to the south of Helen. There are also more state parks than you can shake a stick at around there. I may even write something about them too.


Helen, Georgia, USA

Post 2

unremarkable: Lurker, OMFC, LPAS

smiley - smiley wow, i'm so thrilled that the entry was useful to someone.... thanks for the details on the zither... perhaps i could add them to the article, with your approval of course.


Helen, Georgia, USA

Post 3

Two Bit Trigger Pumping Moron

Fine, this whole deal is supposed to be a collabrative effort.

I'm going to try and start doing some little articles like this. My wife an I take a lot of day trips around Georgia. The trip to Helen was the first one where I started taking notes. My next weekend starts on Wednesday, so maybe I'll write something then.


Helen, Georgia, USA

Post 4

unremarkable: Lurker, OMFC, LPAS

Thats a really good idea.... my own Georgia experience is rather limited, as I'm not a resident.


Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Helen, Georgia, USA

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more