A Conversation for How To Cross One Eye

A530506 - How To Cross One Eye

Post 1

Huw (ACE)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/h2g2/guide/A530506

OK, this is just a short piece but I can't really think of what else I could say!
Except, maybe, a note on how to see stereograms, as crossing your eyes is a necessity to do this.

All advice gratefully received smiley - biggrin


A530506 - How To Cross One Eye

Post 2

Huw (ACE)

By the way, a picture of an eye would be a nice touch but I can't seem to find one in the picture library - is there one?


A530506 - How To Cross One Eye

Post 3

Gnomon - time to move on

I think this method is fairly primitive compared with the one I use:

1. hold out your finger directly in front of one eye.

2. look at your finger with both eyes

3. move your finger in towards your eye, continuing to look at it.

4. stop before you poke your eye out.

5. now repeat with an imaginary finger.

With practise, you should be able to wobble one eye from side to side while keeping the other stationary.


A530506 - How To Cross One Eye

Post 4

Bright Blue Shorts

What medical proof do we have that crossing your eyes isn't healthy? I suspect this is something parents tell their children not to do because it embarasses or annoys them.

BBS smiley - smiley


A530506 - How To Cross One Eye

Post 5

Crescent

With a bit of practise you can make it look like you are moving only one eye at a time, sort of independantly smiley - smiley How to freak people out 101 smiley - smiley Until later....
BCNU - Crescent


A530506 - How To Cross One Eye

Post 6

Huw (ACE)

OK, well, firstly I disagree that my method is more primitive, I think it's better and makes the 'trick' easier to master.
Secondly, judging from the pain involved (if taken too far) and the sensitivity of eyes generally, it probably can be harmful.


A530506 - How To Cross One Eye

Post 7

Mikey the Humming Mouse - A3938628 Learn More About the Edited Guide!

The reason people feel pain when they first try and cross their eyes is that they're using muscles in a way they normally don't, and tend to strain them. The more often they do it, the easier it gets and the less pain it causes. In some children with "lazy eyes", eye doctors actually recommend the children practice crossing their eyes several times a day, as it strengthens the eye muscles.

There's no evidence I've seen that it causes any harm at all.

smiley - smiley
Mikey


A530506 - How To Cross One Eye

Post 8

Huw (ACE)

OK, thanks for the info! I just assumed (quite rightly, I feel) that because of the initial pain it would be wise to put the warning in. Anyway, everybody keeps saying "I haven't SEEN any evidence" or whatever, which doesn't mean the evidence doesn't exist, so just to be safe I think the warning should be left in anyway. Besides, what do you think the BBC would say?


A530506 - How To Cross One Eye

Post 9

Bright Blue Shorts

Anyone know what the sound of one eye crossing is like? smiley - winkeye


A530506 - How To Cross One Eye

Post 10

Mikey the Humming Mouse - A3938628 Learn More About the Edited Guide!

Let me rephrase this -- when I say "I haven't seen any evidence", I mean that I am a medical research professional who has looked and searched and not seen any evidence. This doesn't mean that there isn't any evidence anywhere, but it *does* mean that there is unlikely to be good, legitimate evidence.

It's one thing to say that crossing your eyes might be painful at first (which is true), but saying that "it's not considered healthy" is just perpetuating an old wive's tale and has no place in a factual guide entry.

Mikey


A530506 - How To Cross One Eye

Post 11

Bright Blue Shorts

Even better, your last line says something about having a good source of light in the room. This is another of my pet "What proof have you got about this?" questions.

So .... does reading in the dark really strain your eyes and have a long-term detrimental effect?

BBS smiley - smiley


A530506 - How To Cross One Eye

Post 12

Huw (ACE)

OK, firstly I didn't realise you were a professional Mikey, so point taken. I think it was a bit harsh, however, to accuse me of perpetuating an 'old wive's tale'. Pain is the body's way of telling you something is wrong, so excuse me for thinking that you might be damaging your eyes by hurting them! Seems fairly logical to me...

In any case, due to the amount of stick I've received over this, I'm removing the warning. Just don't come running to me if you hurt yourself.

Now, besides all this, I'd like some other constructive criticism please.


A530506 - How To Cross One Eye

Post 13

xyroth

A related thing that I can do is to roll the eyes (eitherup or down) until only the whites are showing. It causes similar effects in the audience. smiley - winkeye


A530506 - How To Cross One Eye

Post 14

Huw (ACE)

That's cool - you ever been in a zombie film by any chance? smiley - biggrin


A530506 - How To Cross One Eye

Post 15

xyroth

No, but I do use some pretty strange make-up for parties. Full face, multi-colour with cloak and jewelry. Quite effective even before you start doing stuff with the behaviour.


A530506 - How To Cross One Eye

Post 16

Huw (ACE)

This has been in Peer Review for a while now. Any other comments, anybody?


A530506 - How To Cross One Eye

Post 17

Orcus

I liked it. smiley - ok
Never had any problem myself with eye gymnastics, I can cross mine outwards as well as inwards and do the up-down thing too smiley - silly.
I'd never really thought about a method or a way of teaching people how to do it but when i read this I tried it and I pretty much think that's how I do it. smiley - smiley

Any chance of writing an article as to how one wiggles one's ears Stan Laurel style? That's something I've never mastered.

Anyway, thanks for a good morning laugh. smiley - biggrin

PS. Patience is a virtue. One week on Peer Review is a short time still I'm afraid.


A530506 - How To Cross One Eye

Post 18

Sad, Mad or Bad? - I always wanted to be a dino, but alas, I'm just old.

I can cross one eye, waggle my ears, and (and I don't know ANYONE else who can do this) shut my nostrils without using my hands. THAT freaks people. I can't do them all at once though. Hang on, yes I can. How smiley - cool is that?


A530506 - How To Cross One Eye

Post 19

Bright Blue Shorts

Isn't waggling the ears a genetic thing? You can either do it or you can't? Maybe I just misheard that somewhere? Someone go "Ask the H2G2 community" - please smiley - smiley


A530506 - How To Cross One Eye

Post 20

§hadow

Okay, I tried the method described and had an office-mate check the results, he said it worked. When my turn for picking articles comes up (which should be shortly), I'll recommend this entry be added to The Guide if no other Scout already has. Good job and keep up the good work!
~§~ smiley - skull
§hadow
http://www.bbc.co.uk/h2g2/guide/U133044

[From time to time, every man is tempted to hoist the skull and crossbones and slit a few throats.]


Key: Complain about this post