A Conversation for The Good Ship CensorShip

Fact

Post 1

Huw (ACE)

I would like to point out the flaw in this very biased article:it IS theft - by using Napster you ARE breaching copyright laws. Pure and simple. Whether or not you agree with it, you are getting a song for free that an artist has slaved to record, and that artist is not making any money from that download. I'll say it one more time - it's theft.


Fact

Post 2

Pastey

I'm sorry that you seen this article as biased. Believe it or not, I didn't intend to write it that way.

Copying a song from Napster is theft. I agree. I'm not trying to promote it. But I'm not demoting it.

What I was trying to get across is that the music industry is so concerned with how to stop this theft that they aren't looking at why people want to commit it.

Hope that clears that up.
I'll try and double check my bias in futuresmiley - smiley

smiley - rose


Fact

Post 3

Huw (ACE)

That's OK, I didn't mean anything personal, I'm just sick and tired of people defending Napster. As a matter of fact, I do agree with you about the overpricing of music - I just don't see Napster as a viable solution.

Again, sorry if I offended, but I just hate thievery smiley - smiley


Fact

Post 4

Pastey

You didn't offend me, believe me it takes a heck of a lot more than that tsmiley - doctor

I agree that Napster is theft, in it's current form. Although it seems that MusicNet may well be the progression for it that we've been waiting for.

smiley - rose


Fact

Post 5

Huw (ACE)

MusicNet? I haven't heard of that yet. I'm guessing it is like Napster but with a subscription charge or something?


Fact

Post 6

Phryne- 'Best Suppurating Actress'

A perspective on theft: who would buy both CD and cassette versions of an album so that they could listen to them at home and on a personal stereo without committing a crime?
Napster is stealing, but it's not wholly bad. I use it mainly to determine whether I like songs/artists/groups or not, and if I think they're worth it then I buy the album. So the industry's gaining something from it in that way.
Besides (goes all annoyed) aren't the industry stealing in that most of the money they take is paying for nowt? The difference being, of course, that we are letting them.
(New Enhanced CD- contains FREE Dark Matter!)


Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for The Good Ship CensorShip

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more