A Conversation for 50 years of sci-fi @ the BBC

Quatermass

Post 1

Uncle Monty (nothing much going on here then)

Nigel Kneale also wrote (did he not?) the 1978 Quatermass series on ITV starring John Mills and Simon MacCorkindale, which was absolutely brilliant. I was 14 when it came out, and it left a lasting impression on me. It was the thing that got me interested in Sci-Fi. When I saw it yesterday afternoon on the Sci-Fi channel I was thrilled. Needless to say, it felt dated, but the storyline was excellent - and it was fun to spot the later-to-become-famous bit-part players, like Toyah Wilcox.


Quatermass

Post 2

Munchkin

I thought it was her!!! Also watched that yesterday, which now means I have seen them all in some form or other. Wasn't it odd to see Quatermass doing action-y sort of things. Never got that in the fifties BBC ones smiley - smiley


Quatermass

Post 3

Uncle Monty (nothing much going on here then)

To be honest, I have never seen the early Quatermass things, but from what I know about them they would be excellent if re-made.

Yes, it was Toyah. Also noticed Brenda Fricker, David Yip (of "Chinese Detective" obscurity), Gretchen Franklin ("Ethel" from EastEnders), the bloke who played Ted in East Enders, and I've seen the girl who played his granddaughter in things as an adult, but I can't think of her name!!! Also Chris something-or-other who was in Coronation Street was the soldier who went off with the Planet People.


Quatermass

Post 4

Munchkin

The original BBC stuff (I have seen a video of Quatermass and the Pit) was great. The stories are very good, but they were done live, on a tiny stage, so there is a lot of talking heads type shots. If they were remade now there would probably be a lot more special effects, and a lot less of the talky plot, which would be a pity rightly.


Quatermass

Post 5

TIMELORD

Yes he did write the latter story (the Quatermass conclusion)he also wrote the radio series the Quatermass memoirs in 1996 (Andrew Kier)
The first 3 stores were all filmed by hammer.
The ITV story was writen for the BBC way back in the early 70's but was droped because of the cost.
Big budget remakes of the first 3 storys have been pushed around for years but Kneal regards the stores as far to interllectual for hollywood,seeing some of the films made there the same could be said of the bob the builder*.


*sorry i was feeling mean


Quatermass

Post 6

TIMELORD

The 1979 Quatermass was first broadcast on the 24 october to 14 november in four sixty minute episodes

CAST LIST

prof Quatermass - sir John Mills
Joe Kapp - Simon Mac Corkindale
Clare Kapp - Baarbara Kellerman
Kickalong - Ralph Arliss
caraway - Paul Rosebury
Bee -Jane Bertish
Hettie - Rebecca Saire
Marshall - Tony Sibbald
Annie Morgan - Margaret Tyzack
Sal - Toyah Wilcox
Chisholm - Donald Eccles
Gurov - Brewster Mason
Chen - David Yip

I hope that this helps i hate it when i can't remember were i saw someone.
P.S. I do have more info on the stores and films if you like i could write it up here.


Quatermass

Post 7

TIMELORD

Would you like an episode guide for all the Quatermass sagas putting up.


Quatermass

Post 8

Munchkin

Well, if you've got one. I've only seen the Hammer versions of the first two, so it would be of interest smiley - winkeye


Quatermass

Post 9

TIMELORD

I have loads of episode guides for most of the bbc sci-fi shows.

The Quatermass experiment:
1953 six 30 minute episodes 18 july to the 22 august

Contact has been made.
Person reported missing.
very special knowledge.
belived to be suffering.
An unidentified species.
State of emergancy.

Quatermass II:
1955 six 30 minute episodes 22 october to the 26 november.

The bolts.
The mark.
The flood.
The coming.
The frenzy.
The destroyers.

Quatermass and the pit:
1958/59 six 30 minute episodes 22 december to the 26 january.

The halfman.
The ghost.
Imps and demons.
The enchanted.
The wild hunt.
Hob.

Quatermasssmiley - sadfaceAKA The Quatermass conclusion)
1979 four 60 minute episodes* 24 october to the 14 noverber.

Ringstone round.
Lovely lightning.
what lies beneath.
An endangered species.

*repeated as two two hour episodes in 1984 and edited into a 105 minute tv movie for over seas sales


Quatermass

Post 10

TIMELORD

Ok who put that smileysmiley - sadface
it was ment to be : and (


Quatermass

Post 11

TIMELORD

I saw the video of quatermass and the pit(BBC version)in the libary yesterday i thought about hiring it but i think i taped it when they repeated it a few years back.
If there is any over shows that you would like an episode guide to i might well have one.


Quatermass

Post 12

Munchkin

The BBC video of Quatermass and the Pit is not bad at all. Ages since I've seen it mind, but I was very impressed with the Martian Civil War bit.
You are, as ever, the font of all useful TV knowledge and I thank you once again for more random facts to cram my brain smiley - smiley


Quatermass

Post 13

TIMELORD

I know what you mean i think that i should be able to do more with all this info but until they do a sci fi quiz show with big money prizes i am stuck.


Key: Complain about this post