A Conversation for GG: The Double Bass

A517466 - The Double Bass

Post 1

Gnomon - time to move on

http://www.bbc.co.uk/h2g2/A517466

Welcome back everyone. For your perusal today, an article about that enormous string instrument, the Double Bass.


A517466 - The Double Bass

Post 2

Gnomon - time to move on

Sorry, the new format for the links is different. Try this:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/h2g2/guide/A517466


A517466 - The Double Bass

Post 3

Ashley


Hey Gnomon!

Great entry smiley - biggrin

After reading this, I was reminded of one of the most performed plays in Austria and Germany called 'The Double Bass' by Patrick Suskind. THe play is basically a soliloquy and it charts an hour and a half in the life of a double bass player as he prepares for an opera performance.

He lives alone in a sound-proofed flat and leads the audience, in between trips to the fridge for beer, through his favourite music composed for the double bass. The play then starts to take sinister turns as we delve deeper into his psyche. He tells us of his love of the instrument, how he is proud to be the third bassist, not lead and then proceeds to hint at his family's disappointment in his chosen career and level.

From a love of the instrument, he starts telling the audience just why he hates it - it is cumbersome, it dominates every corner of his life and his flat. He can't entertain lady friends because his double bass is constantly in the corner of his eye and dominating any converstaion he has. It is a battle of wits and the double bass is winning.

Our bass player then tells us of the adoration of the opera's mezzo soprano - Sarah. He loves her from afar and believes himself to be in with a chance. This passion leads to the crux of the play... which will not be revealed here.

The Double Bass is an amazing play that explores the mind of a lonely, talented man shunned by his associates and whose life is dominated and led by an inanimate object.


Oops - sorry I went on a bit there....


A517466 - The Double Bass

Post 4

Gnomon - time to move on

Ashley, Thanks for that about the play. It is very interesting. I don't think that it should be included as part of my article, but it could certainly be posted as a conversation attached to the article if the article ever makes it into the Guide.


Congratulations!...

Post 5

The Researcher formally known as Dr St Justin

... And jubilations... Yes! Your entry is set to become part of the edited Guide! When it's been through the editorial process, it will appear on the front page so that everyone can see it. Wooh! smiley - cool


Congratulations!...

Post 6

Gnomon - time to move on

That was quick! Whoopee!!


Congratulations!...

Post 7

The Researcher formally known as Dr St Justin

Good entries get picked quick! What else can I say? smiley - ok


Congratulations!...

Post 8

Sol

Oh this one is great!

*swoons at all the attention given to the humble bass*

Patrick whatsit's play pretty much defines the condition of being a bass player. (as, of course does Adams's little sketch in Long Dark Teatime...). I had no idea it was so popular to perform though. I'll go off and burble at the bottom of the entry now. Thank you thank you thank you.


Congratulations!...

Post 9

Jeremy (trying to find his way back to dinner)

What else but a good Entry could be expected to be written by Gnomon!

Gnomon, you remember our little dispute about wind instruments? Well, the double bass is one of my favourite playgrounds smiley - winkeyesmiley - devil. I have been playing the 'doghouse' for more than 10 years, so I might add some valuable information:

There are also 5-string basses, which normally add a high C to the EADG set of strings. These are not only used in classical music, but especially in jazz.

You describe the sound of a plucked bass as 'dull'. I know what you mean, but some jazz players might want to hear a more polite expression.

If it's not too specific, you might mention that the double bass players use only three fingers per position, not all four. This is a must as normal people cannot stretch their fingers wide enough to reach all 4 semitones on the fingerboard, esp. in the lower positions.

Would you want to mention some of the most important players and composers?

If you have the chance to see Patrick Süskinds "Der Kontrabass", DO IT!!!! It's really worth it.


Congratulations!...

Post 10

Jeremy (trying to find his way back to dinner)

Sorry, I forgot to mention one thing:

Double bass players do not necessarily sit on a high chair. A bar stool or something like that is highly appreciated, esp. during long performances. The standard stance, however, is to stand while playing.

"Bass players do it standing up"smiley - winkeye


Congratulations!...

Post 11

Sol

I felt a bit daunted at the thought of posting first to an entry so I'm back.

Actually, this bass player always does it sitting down. If we are being totally accurate I suppose we could add that rumour had it that the stool should be at least the height of the bow...

What about 3 string basses? aren't they the preffered medium for soloists (having a slightly sweeter sound?). Now I think about it I think that is in Patrick whosit's play: 3 string basses are (French) and sound better, but the german's have better composers and stiffed us with 4 string versions.

Oh yes, and in the absence of a 5th lower sting or an extension it is possible to tune down. This has the added fun that the bass goes into shock as the tension changes and is wildly out of tune by the middle of the piece. So, what we used to do was have one or two of the section play a note which (and here solnushka reveals a total lack of knowledge of either music or physics) somehow reverberates off the other note (the correct note played an octave higher than the music askes for), and at a distance sounds like the correctly played low note. Allegedly.


Congratulations!...

Post 12

Ariel

Well, I'm a bit late (that's typical) but really super article! 'Course I love just about anything musically oriented, but I really enjoyed this one in particular.

cheers-
Ariel


Congratulations!

Post 13

h2g2 auto-messages

Editorial Note: This thread has been moved out of the Peer Review forum because this entry has now been recommended for the Edited Guide.

If they have not been along already, the Scout who recommended your entry will post here soon, to let you know what happens next. Meanwhile you can find out what will happen to your entry here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/h2g2/guide/SubEditors-Process

Congratulations!


Congratulations!

Post 14

Gnomon - time to move on

Folks, I made a few changes and added in some of the stuff that you pointed out.

That method of playing low using difference frequencies from two higher notes sounds interesting!


A517466 - The Double Bass

Post 15

Merdo the Grey, Patron Saint of fuzzy thinking

and I, who thought that a double bass was two bottles of beer ...

~^M^~


Key: Complain about this post