A Conversation for The Nyala

Very interesting!

Post 1

Ariel

Well, I didn't know about these nyalas at all.. thank you for such a well written and informative article. I did notice that the pictures weren't loading... that might be a problem at my end, but I was so disappointed! I also noticed a typo at the end (more of a cut and paste problem, I think) around the part where you are discussing that they give birth to only single calves.
In any case, I don't mean to sound picky, because this was great! I'm currently working on an article about bats and echolocation... among other things smiley - winkeye I'd welcome any comments you have to offer.
cheers-
Ari


Very interesting!

Post 2

The Unmentionable Marauding Pillowcase

The pictures don't work? That's not good. Please try again - I remember that the site where they're located was being updated a while ago, but now it's back - the pictures work from my side, they're straightforwardly linked, so if the site is online they should be available and visible everywhere. If not, there's something strange going on.

Corrected the error, thanks, as well as a few others. This is not an entry meant for the edited Guide, because those entries can only have approved pictures, and I wanna use my own. I have written a few for the edited Guide though.

If you post your article on your page, I'll look at it. I'm not a scout or a subeditor or anything; those guys will help you out very nicely on the Peer Review page. I want to point out this: if you want to include your own pictures, or personalize your entry in some other way, but you still want to also forward your entry to Peer Review, you can simply duplicate it and change the one version to what you want it to be for your own purposes, while changing the other to conform to Guide standards.


Very interesting!

Post 3

The Unmentionable Marauding Pillowcase

Did you get the pictures to load yet? I will also ask some other people, it isn't nice of the pictures not to load, they're rather essential to the article!


Very interesting!

Post 4

Ariel

Yay! The pics worked!
This is really a great piece... I so enjoyed it. I'm looking forward to reading the rest of your zoological pieces. Personally I think there's a book in here someplace just waiting to get out!
cheers-
Ari


Very interesting!

Post 5

The Unmentionable Marauding Pillowcase

Gee, I would like to write a book! I am thinking about it. There aren't many books about mammals available - not very complete ones at least. I think I'll be able to complete a book dealing with at least 200 mammal species in rather considerable detail over a year's time. I'm going to see what happens - I will keep on writing entries for the Guide, and when I have enough text and pictures I'll put it together and go to a publisher. I'll have to straighen out copyright issues, I believe at the moment I own the copyright for the entries that are NOT in the Edited Guide - such as this Nyala entry - and I can erase them at any time should there be a conflict, but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

In the meantime, I've added another picture to my Nyala entry and I wrote another one, on the Mountain Nyala, in case you're interested:

http://www.h2g2.com/A512894


Very interesting!

Post 6

Ariel

I think that's a wonderful idea! A book dedicated to African Mammals...( primates included?) I think it would be the perfect forum to blend your interest with conservation as well. Showing how man's influence has disrupted these animals' habitats and impacted their survival.. I could just imagine a gorgeous oversized book that really served to highten people's awareness of these animals, their habitats, and how we affect them. Ooops...There I go... running off again. I'm prone to that!
I've been completely immersed in my piece on Miscarriage (http://www.h2g2.com/A507773, if you're interested).
I've been so graced by so many people who have shared their experiences with me in the last week... its been wonderful and overwhelming and utterly consuming in the best of ways. I think the piece is nearing completion.... at last. I'm hoping to put the finishing touches on it tonight.
Anyway... that's not as off topic as is may appear... its a blatant excuse for my recent lack of replies smiley - winkeye
More to follow soon! Promise!
cheers-
Ari


Very interesting!

Post 7

The Unmentionable Marauding Pillowcase

I've been following your "Miscarriage" article and its forums. I just didn't say anything because I have absolutely no experience relating to it! But I think that it will be a wonderful entry, it will help people for sure. My sis will know more about it, she's a doctor. She's currently working under the most horrible conditions imaginable at a totally understaffed S.A. hospital. I hope she makes it.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more