A Conversation for GG: The Lion of Chaironeia

Peer Review: A487028 - The Lion of Chaironeia

Post 1

Gnomon - time to move on

Entry: The Lion of Chaironeia - A487028
Author: Gnomon - [ 3 stars, a rose for Ben, and 139 solo Edited Entries] - U151503

If this is picked, I'll send in a photo rather than leaving the photo as a link to the Flickr website.


A487028 - The Lion of Chaironeia

Post 2

benjaminpmoore

smiley - book
for sometime when it's not midnight. Promise.


A487028 - The Lion of Chaironeia

Post 3

aka Bel - A87832164

Interesting entry, could do with some links to some of the other Greece -related entries.
It really needs a photo, preferably the one with you(?) at the foozt of it, which shows just how huge the statue is. I know you mention the size and say somethingf abot a two-storey house etc, still, I only really realised when I saw that photo.
And you're right, it doesn't look very much like a lion, it made me laugh.
Thanks for that, Gnomon.


A487028 - The Lion of Chaironeia

Post 4

Gnomon - time to move on

Unfortunately, h2g2 pictures have to be square, and the picture of me (yes, it is me) and the statue does not go easily into a square. I didn't think of that when I was taking it.

I've added a few links. Unfortunately, there are no entries in the guide about Macedon, Alexander the Great or Thebes, so all I could come up with were Athens, Thessaloniki and Greece itself.

I've done a bit more research and found that the Thebans buried at the Lion were a group of specially picked fighters called the Sacred Band, consisting of 150 homosexual couples, each consisting of an older man and a youth. The theory was that if lovers fought side by side, they would be fiercer and have more at stake than normal soldiers. They had fought extremely well in previous battles but were slaughtered by Alexander's cavalry charge. I'll put these details into the entry in the next day or so.


A487028 - The Lion of Chaironeia

Post 5

Wilma Neanderthal

Fascinating entry, Gnomon.

I'm here about the pic though. Would you like me to try tweaking your photo? I am happy to give it a go.

smiley - ok
W


A487028 - The Lion of Chaironeia

Post 6

Gnomon - time to move on

I've added a paragraph about the homosexual Sacred Band.

Wilma, thanks for offering to tweak the picture. I think I'll have to settle for a picture without any people in it, despite what B'Elana says. The best one for reducing to a square shape is one I have at home which I can mail to you later. It has my family at the bottom, but you can cut them off (h2g2 pics can't have children in them for legal reasons).


A487028 - The Lion of Chaironeia

Post 7

Wilma Neanderthal

I look forward to receiving it, Gnomon
smiley - ok
W


A487028 - The Lion of Chaironeia

Post 8

aka Bel - A87832164

Great additional info you added there, Gnomon. smiley - smiley
I guess you're right about the photo, shame, though.


A487028 - The Lion of Chaironeia

Post 9

Gnomon - time to move on

Wilma, I found a copy of the photo, so I've sent it to your Wilma address.


A487028 - The Lion of Chaironeia

Post 10

Wilma Neanderthal

smiley - ok and returned.
W


A487028 - The Lion of Chaironeia

Post 11

Gnomon - time to move on

Thanks, Wilma. I've put the 'sans famille' version up on Flickr and pointed the Entry to it. I'll send it in to the Eds when this is picked.


A487028 - The Lion of Chaironeia

Post 12

Wilma Neanderthal

smiley - biggrin

I'll give my copy to Annie so she can update the <./>photgoraphers</.> page when it goes live.

smiley - ok
~W~


A487028 - The Lion of Chaironeia

Post 13

Wilma Neanderthal

<./>photographers</.>


A487028 - The Lion of Chaironeia

Post 14

aka Bel - A87832164

I like the photgoraphers - could have been me typing it like this smiley - laugh


A487028 - The Lion of Chaironeia

Post 15

Galaxy Babe - eclectic editor

smiley - book


A487028 - The Lion of Chaironeia

Post 16

Galaxy Babe - eclectic editor

Is this Entry ready to go, Gnomon?


A487028 - The Lion of Chaironeia

Post 17

Gnomon - time to move on

I'm happy with it.


A487028 - The Lion of Chaironeia

Post 18

Galaxy Babe - eclectic editor

As am I smiley - smiley

*click*


Congratulations - Your Entry has been Picked for the Edited Guide!

Post 19

h2g2 auto-messages

Your Guide Entry has just been picked from Peer Review by one of our Scouts, and is now heading off into the Editorial Process, which ends with publication in the Edited Guide. We've therefore moved this Review Conversation out of Peer Review and to the entry itself.

If you'd like to know what happens now, check out the page on 'What Happens after your Entry has been Recommended?' at EditedGuide-Process. We hope this explains everything.

Thanks for contributing to the Edited Guide!


Congratulations - Your Entry has been Picked for the Edited Guide!

Post 20

Gnomon - time to move on

Yay! smiley - smiley


Key: Complain about this post