Top Trumps

4 Conversations

Top Trumps is a card game where any number of players compete in a battle of wits, skill and chance.
Each set of top trumps has a different topic ranging from Fire Engines, Dragsters, Helicopters and Warships to County Cricketers, Olympic Greats and British Soccer Stars.
Some of the most bizarre yet most popular sets are the Horror, Superhero and Western Gunfighter series.
Each card in a set is printed with certain data e.g engine capacity, top speed, horse power and number of passengers for the cars or goals scored, international caps won, league appearances and height for the football players.
One player starts the game by choosing a category and announcing the statistic for his card. The player who's top card has the highest statistic wins that particular round and he chooses the statistic for the next round.
Top Trumps were the ultimate in coolness for every teenage boy in the late 70s and early 80s. In every school playground in Britain, boys could be found competing against each other on topics as diverse as the fuel capacity of space rockets and the horror factor of Godzilla.

An interesting variation on Top Trumps was played in our school playground, called 'death' top trumps whereby the player who won the game i.e. finished with all the cards, got to keep the set <biggrin>

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A484148

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more