A Conversation for Clifford about music: History of "THE RAMONES"

Flea Market: A475382 / The Ramones

Post 1

Clifford Mortimer Fitzgerald Masters III

http://www.h2g2.com/A475382

The Ramones were one of the most influential bands in rock history. American punk rock wouldn't be the same without them.

I found little information about them at h2g2, so I wrote down all I knew.

sorry for recommending my own entry, but I think it turned out to be quite informative....


A475382 / The Ramones

Post 2

NexusSeven

Don't apologise - it doesn't matter who puts an entry up for Peer Review! smiley - smiley

I think that you've got the basis of a good entry here, but it needs a little work on a couple of things. Firstly, the grammar could be tightened a little, as could the structure. One way to do this would be to put the information already in the entry into clearly compartmentalised sections, either chronologically or by subject. Learning the basics of GuideML would be a big help towards this, but it's not necessary.

One other thing to remedy is the first person references. Whilst writing entries on favourite bands will always involve personal feelings (and I should know - I did an entry on The Cult, who are big faves of mine), it's best if you can move such things from active to passive (eg if you had said, 'I think The Ramones are the greatest...', a better way of putting it might be, 'The Ramones are thought to be the greatest...' or something similar.)

Anyway, keep on truckin' with this one - it should be really good with a little judicious polishing!

smiley - smiley


A475382 / The Ramones

Post 3

NexusSeven

OOooops! I forgot to mention; a list of all the members who have borne the name of Ramone with pride would be really good, as would be a discography. With a band as far-travelled as The Ramones, this might be a little tricky, so just the major albums would do. Again, GuideML and its funky list-making abilities would be handy.

If you need to track down information, I'd try online for websites or fansites or whatever; beware plagiarism, however! Research is cool, copying means potential litigation.

Sorry about the warning; sounds a bit harsh!
Happy writing,
N7 smiley - smiley


A475382 / The Ramones

Post 4

Clifford Mortimer Fitzgerald Masters III

thanks, n7. I'll try my best.

As for my grammar: I quit school 6 years ago .... and my grammar is more movie-influenced than school-influenced (sorry, Mrs. Blohm!).
Maybe there is a native speaker of the english language who would like to have a look at the entry, once I'm finished...?

I will do some research, too. This entry, so far, came completely out of my memory. Some proven facts would be nice, indeed. smiley - smiley

Sonic Temple rules!


A475382 / The Ramones

Post 5

NexusSeven

*hums 'Fire Woman' in agreement*

smiley - smiley


A475382 / The Ramones

Post 6

Clifford Mortimer Fitzgerald Masters III


....yeah.....

* hums along *


....can I do headlines without guideML ?
i tried to find out....


A475382 / The Ramones

Post 7

NexusSeven

If you know anything about HTML, then yeah. Unfortunately, I know nothing about it, and an entry stands a far greater chance of being recommended if it is in GuideML.

Don't Panic, though! GuideML need only be applied if you're feeling adventurous and isn't a necessity. Here's a link to the invaluable GuideML clinic, which makes the whole process far less painless:
http://www.h2g2.com/GuideML-Clinic

Here's an example of the benefits of using it (sorry, a bit facetious, choosing my own entry, I know, but you *did* say that Sonic Temple rules... smiley - cool ):
http://www.h2g2.com/A456581

And this should be what ot looks like in GuideML:
http://www.h2g2.com/Test456581


A475382 / The Ramones

Post 8

Clifford Mortimer Fitzgerald Masters III

... OF COURSE
...I already read your entry about the cult. great!

and the test page is exactly what i was looking for!

thanks...


A475382 / The Ramones

Post 9

Mr. Cogito

Hello,

Are you still working on this one? I've noticed you haven't posted anything since last Novemember, but I'm checking one last time...

Yours,
Jake


A475382 / The Ramones

Post 10

Mr. Cogito

Hello,

Well, I guess we'll have to move this one to Writing Workshop or something, since I think it should go into the edited guide. I'm also sad to report that Joey Ramone passed away this last Sunday from Lymphoma. smiley - sadface

Yours,
Jake


A475382 / The Ramones

Post 11

Mikey the Humming Mouse - A3938628 Learn More About the Edited Guide!

Jake -- If you want to move that this be moved to the Writing Workshop, I'd second it for you -- I agree.

smiley - smiley
Mikey


A475382 / The Ramones

Post 12

§hadow

Okeeeys, I have a couple of nits to pick with this entry.

The boys began playing in the early 70's not mid. They only started to gather a following in the mid 70's.

You neglected to mention that their first album was done for under $6000. They did it in less than two days and it remains the template for all other punk albums that followed.

"Together with bands like Blondie, Velvet Underground and Television." These bands quite literally only started because they saw the Ramones perform. Also negelcted were the Talking Heads. And over seas... The Clash, Damned and Sex Pistols were all roadies for the Ramones around 7/4/76. The explosion of punk rock was thanks to the Ramones.

"minimalistic garage punk".... they proved that you only needed three chords, no solos and no lead guitar to make great songs. Oddly enough, twenty plus years later, bands like Green Day, Nirvana, Offspring, Rancid and Blink 182 all made millions on the same exact sound.

"Johnny, Joey, Marky, Tommy, Dee Dee, C.Jay"... You also neglected to mention the two other drummers.... Clem (aka Elvis) and Ritchie.

Th-th-th-th-that's all folks,
~§~ smiley - skull
§hadow

[From time to time, every man is tempted to hoist the skull and crossbones and slit a few throats to get the job done.]


A475382 / The Ramones

Post 13

Mr. Cogito

Hello,

Yeah, it's funny when you think about it, but the Guitar Riff for "I Wanna Be Sedated" is only a single note. smiley - smiley

I totally agree that the Ramones are perhaps one of the most underappreciated bands of our era...


A475382 / The Ramones

Post 14

§hadow

I've got a friend who's a HUGE fan and has met them in person, he's going to write up his own article about the Ramones and will either join H2G2 or I'll post it for him. If the author doesn't answer soon, I'd say go ahead and Sin Bin this. My buddy's article will completely rock, I don't think there is much of anything he DOESN'T know about the Ramones!
~§~ smiley - skull
§hadow

[From time to time, every man is tempted to hoist the skull and crossbones and slit a few throats to get the job done.]

%^D I WANNA BE SEDATED! %^D


A475382 / The Ramones

Post 15

Monsignore Pizzafunghi Bosselese

Re: moves to the Workshop

I'm thirding it now...

Bossel (Scout)


A475382 / The Ramones

Post 16

Monsignore Pizzafunghi Bosselese

BTW, Nexus, Shadow & others: the Workshop is a workshop and no dumping area. The stuff above makes up an entry which should be easily made up!


Conversation Moved

Post 17

h2g2 auto-messages

Editorial Note: This Conversation has been moved to the new 'Flea Market' Forum.

This is where we move any Peer Review, Writing Workshop or Alternative Writing Workshop Conversations where the original author has *not* posted to h2g2 for three months. This prevents the active Review Forums from clogging up with dormant entries, but in the Flea Market they can be picked up by others and polished off.


Key: Complain about this post