Fluorescent Multi-Layer Disc (FMD)

3 Conversations

WHAT IS IT?

A new technology being developed by Constellation 3D Inc. It stores data 3 dimensionally (in layers, like DVD).

It can hold up to 140GB of data (23 times more than a DVD, 215 times greater than a CD, 99555 times the capacity of a floppy disk, 1195 times greater than an LS-120 drive - you get the message : it is BIG).

Because of its high capacity it is likely to be used for high quality video and large pictures. For example, it can be used to store an archive of maps in very high detail, and even when it is not compressed it will be able to store a large amount of files. It could also store the whole of a series of a program (ie 20 episodes of length 1 hour each) and still have room to spare. Other examples of uses include - digital cinema, HDTV (high definition television) players, internet content streaming and data storage.

The initial size of the first FMDs will be between 25 and 140GB - still much higher capacity than DVD. Eventually a Terabyte (approx. 1000 GB) of data could be stored on a single FMD.

In the future of FMD there will most likely be another drive released (for reading FMD's). It will be called a WORM drive (Write Once Read Many). <font size=2>(WORM drives are not a new idea, as CD writers use a similar technology)</font> The disks will be similar to CD-R's (you can only write to it once, so it will be used as an archive). Alongside FMD will be a minitiaturized version of FMD called ClearCard, it will be credit card size with a 50mm FMD disk, hundreds of times higher capacity of current 'flash' memory (used in camera's, PDA's etc) and at only a fraction of the cost.

THE TECHNOLOGY BEHIND FMD


The technology is unlike DVD - it doesn't rely on reflection. Therefor it uses fluorescent materials and can there for have more layers than DVD (which has 2) - over 10. When the laser hits the materials, they are stimulated to produced coherent and incoherent light. The data is stored in the incoherent light. In reading the data, the laser light is filtered so that interference and stray light is minimised.

Backwards Compatible

FMD discs can also be retooled to work with existing CD and DVD drives. This can be done by storing the data on the disc in a similar method to that of CDs. FMD drives are also backwards compatible with CDs and DVDs. As the drives are based on the same technology as CD and DVD they will be a similar price to current DVD players.

Durable and Higher Capacity

They can take more extremes (temperature, vibration, etc) during manufacture than that of CDs and DVDs

Several layers can be read at once, unlike DVD where reflection limits that ability. This enables more data to be stored. It will allow retrieval rates of up to (maybe over) 1 gigabit/second.


For more information go to C-3D's website

Any suggestion or comments on this entry?

End Note: I have changed this entry slightly, thanks to some suggestions I have received, but it is not complete as I will have to read up on the technology in more detail. Any suggestions on how to simplify this entry to make it more understandable will be appreciated.

Information obtained from Webopedia and C-3D's website.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A472871

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more