The Running of the Virtual Mayor of London

0 Conversations

The Anatomy of a Posting that grew and grew!

Part 1: A Site is Born.

It was a slow night in the forums. Two o'clock in the morning on a Saturday night. I had posted all the messages that seemed appropriate and was waiting for a response ..any response, with the television playing away quietly in the background. An interview started with Frank Dobson, the latest candidate for the position of Mayor of London. I listened with scant interest! He seemed as dry as the rest of them. No spark of real enthusiasm, just a desire to forward himself in the name of politics. Poor London, I thought. What a mixed bag of candidates with only one, Red Ken having any glimmer of a personality. Fair enough, Glenda Jackson had been a fine actress but, since going into
politics, she had become as bad as the others, drowning in political posturing and looking even more sour-faced then usual.

Jeffrey Archer, well there isn't anything left to say about him, and this more recent candidate hmphh! That was when it happened! My attention was drawn back to a particular thread on h2g2... a whole string of responses, sparkling with wit, but with an underlying sense of intelligence. An idea germinated, threw up shoots and planted itself firmly on my homepage. Before I knew it, I had posted an article asking for nominations for a 'Virtual Mayor of London'. It was just going to be a fun place for researchers to concoct reasons why they should be allowed to run London, and how they thought that they could improve things! I had not really formulated any plans for creating further pages. I tended to be a night owl on h2g2, so most of my visitors were scattered around the globe and would probably not show much interest in the subject.

How wrong I was!

The whole truth and nothing but the truth can be found at The Virtual Mayor of London pages.


ShazzPRME


06.12.99. Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A467453

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written by

Credits

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more