Smiley Preview

2 Conversations

We're about to unleash a new version of the site (hopefully in early November), and here to whet your appetite is a sneak preview of one of the coolest features... new smileys!

The previous set of six smileys:

smiley - smileysmiley - sadfacesmiley - winkeyesmiley - bigeyessmiley - tongueoutsmiley - fish

has proved very popular, but anyone who has had a particularly emotional chat on h2g2 will know that you can never have too many smileys. We'll be adding 86 more to the set, bringing the total up to a whopping 92; we hope this will keep most people happy.

But how on earth is anyone going to remember all these smileys? Easy - we've given all of them an English shortcut, as well as an emoticon for those who have a standard key sequence that everyone will be able to use (you try inventing a sequence for smooching!). Thus, in Conversation Forums, both :-( and <sadface> will produce a sad face.

The following new smileys, for example, are really easy to remember1:

Typing smooch will give:

Typing ok will give:

Typing devil will give:

Also, clicking on smileys in postings will take you to a document that describes that smiley, as well as all the others in the new set, so it'll be a doddle to learn the new set.

One word of warning, though. Posting loads and loads of smileys will seriously slow down your pages, so don't overuse them. After all, a smiley isn't just for Christmas, it's for life, so use them wisely.


Mark Moxon


30.10.00. Front Page

Back Issue Page

1enclose the relevant words within angle brackets... sorry but the page won't work with them included! Ed

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A462836

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more