A Review: The Dandy Warhols

0 Conversations

The Metro, Sydney - 23/10/00

Monday night is not a great night for, well, anything really. However the promise of seeing The Dandy Warhols supported by Even at Sydneys best live venue was enough to lure a full house of punters into the otherwise deserted cinema strip that is the city centre.

'Even' kicked off proceedings with a trademark tight (if cruelly short) set of 60s influenced Beatle-esque via Red Kross tunes. Although they played almost exclusively new songs, apart from their last single Black Umbrella, the crowd loved every minute of it. There can be no higher commendation for a support band.

There was time for only one (more ) quick beer before the 'Dandies' hit the stage supported by a very funky 60s projected backdrop/lightshow. Damn, I knew I picked the wrong day to give up mushrooms...

Starting with some of their more swirly, psychedelic edged, feedback based numbers, (Be In, Nietzche) the mood ebbed and flowed through the pure pop of Minnosoter and Get Off,the countrified Big Indian, the accoustic Green, then back to the full on rock out of Horse Pills.

Swirling up and down, round and round, gently sucking the audience into the vortex of their brilliance. Two trance inducing hours later it was all over. Having played almost every song from the last two albums (Come Down, Thirteen Tales From Bohemia) it was time to break the spell... only for them to return a touch sheepishly within the minute as they realised they had forgotten to play Not If You Were The Last Junkie On Earth and apologising for making it accidently look like an encore.

Highlights for me were the great versions of Hard On For Jesus and Bohemian Like You and the AC/DC cover (I kid you not !!!)

Anyone there on the night was lucky enough to see one of the three best bands in the world close to the peak of their powers. Taylor's sardonic lyrics and wonderful tunes backed by more than competent musicianship. Special mention should go to the unnamed extra muso who played everything from bass, steel guitar and trumpet whilst providing amusing backing vocals, all the time wearing a face obscuring stetson and a tight leather vest.

If you get the chance go see this band - 'nuff said.

Oh, the other two bands... Nine Inch Nails and Radiohead. I'm no music snob, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. It's just that if you don't agree with me then you are wrong


Linus


30.10.00. Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A462566

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more