A Conversation for Newcastle Brown Ale

Brown

Post 1

Grendel

Two things, it is NOT known as "Newkie" broon on Tyneside, and I think we're the authority here. It's only known as that by la-de-dah Southern ponces(TM).
And secondly, it's not that alcoholic, it's only 4.7% ABV. It's the *other* magical stuff in it which does the business.


Brown

Post 2

Harvey

I agree with everything Grendel said. I hadn't even heard the word 'Newkie' until I moved hundreds of miles south.

Generally we drop either 'newcastle' or 'ale', making an order of 'newcastle brown' or 'brown ale' and we often say "a bottle of" as well. Not that it matters as we don't drink it that much anyway.

Er, I've never found it that strong at all, no matter what anyone says is in it.


Brown

Post 3

Harvey

I agree with everything Grendel said. I hadn't even heard the word 'Newkie' until I moved hundreds of miles south.

Generally we drop either 'newcastle' or 'ale', making an order of 'newcastle brown' or 'brown ale' and we often say "a bottle of" as well. Not that it matters as we don't drink it that much anyway.

Er, I've never found it that strong at all, no matter what anyone says is in it.


Brown

Post 4

Grendel

It used to give me hangovers when I was 16. These days I find it takes something with a little more 'kick' (Metz, Kronenberg, kerosene smiley - winkeye.


Brown

Post 5

Harvey

Ah yes, Metz is nice, I used to drink it with an old mate of mine, but I only really drink bottles when the draught is crap. I think I've only had a dozen or so bottles of brown, but then I tend to end up with pints that could knock out a horse.

What part of tyneside are you from Grendel?


Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Newcastle Brown Ale

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more