A Conversation for Linux Users' Group

it's not linux but...

Post 1

HappyDude

er .. hi
I know NetBSD is not Linux but perhaps you might like grant me honorary membership of this group as I'm pretty unlikely to find enough NetBSD users to form a a NetBSD Users Group here smiley - erm


it's not linux but...

Post 2

xyroth

Hi Happy,

the correct place would be the h2g2unix users page over at A369678 which would be the correct place not only for netbsd, but also for openbsd and freebsd, gnu hurd, aix, solaris or any of the other posix compatable systems out there, even OS X.

however it seems to be a little quiet at the moment, and a lot of questions have common answers, so you will probably fit in here, but do expect to have some odd replies, as bsd uses a different file system, the ports package management system, and a number of other very specific things not used in most of the free or even proprietary unix's.


it's not linux but...

Post 3

HappyDude

I'm having fun seems stable and all, for all the differences there is a lot of commonality between Linux & BSD smiley - smiley


it's not linux but...

Post 4

xyroth

Yes, a lot of stuff is common between them.

All the free unix's use the gnu compiler collection and tool chain, and a lot of the application level stuff is also common, but you can find that common files are in unusual places, some filesystem level stuff is different, and so on.

but it is often true that the different unix's have more in common than they have different, but there are just enough differences that it stops some of the standard answers from working with specific systems.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more