A Conversation for FANTASY FOOTBALL - Season 14 - "Now with added badges"

FF14 - Week Six

Post 41

McKay The Disorganised

Thanks; smiley - ok

smiley - sadface

'bout 5 points then for me.

smiley - cider


FF14 - Week Six

Post 42

GreyDesk

I went out to the pub after tea. I'm only just back, and I don't feel much like doing the marking at the moment. I'll do it tomorrow.


FF14 - Week Six

Post 43

Demon Drawer

Whoops too busy with politics to remember to post here this week. Any chance of a pools panel.


FF14 - Week Six

Post 44

GreyDesk

DD - given the lack of bribes being offered; the overall low scores made by many of the players this week, and the fact that you are one of four absentees this week. The answer is no I'm afraid.


FF14 - Week Six - Results

Post 45

GreyDesk

Does anyone still do the Football Pools in these days of the National Lottery? You know, the Littlewoods thing based up in Liverpool. The thing that used to be the only way of winning shit-loads of cash for a smallish stake.

Well with four draws in this week's set of matches. It would have been a good week to have played it smiley - bigeyes [i]

So what of this week's results. All pretty low scoring I think is the answer. Without Blinkhorn's last gasp goal for Blackpool and Trundle's brace for Swansea, the points would have been even thinner of the ground.

Performance-wise McKay was the most consistent with points gained in four of the five matches. But the winner with a total of eight points including a Hartlepool full house is me[Andy]g. Well done, Sir smiley - applausesmiley - magicsmiley - bubblysmiley - biggrin


-------------

The Results:

Bristol City 1-1 Blackpool (COTTERILL, Blinkhorn)

Hartlepool 2-2 Swansea (HUMPHREYS, Trundle, Sweeney)

Bradford 1-1 Yeovil (SKIVERTON, Muirhead)

Doncaster 3-1 Scunthorpe (FORTUNE-WEST, McIndoe, Sharp, Forte)

Bordeaux 1-1 Lyon (SMICER, Wiltord)

-------------

The Points:

me[Andy]g - 8 points (Bristol City result; Hartlepool full house smiley - bubbly ; Bordeaux scorer)

McKay The Disorganised - 7 points (Hartlepool scorer; Bradford result & score; Doncaster scorer; Bordeaux result)

sprout - 7 points (Bristol City result & score; Hartlepool scorer; Bordeaux result & score)

Ormondroyd - 6 points (Bristol City scorer & 1st scorer; Hartlepool scorer; Bordeaux result & score)

Colonel Creachy - 4 points (Bristol City result; Doncaster result)

GreyDesk - 4 points (Bristol City result & score; Doncaster scorer)

Orcus - 4 points (Hartlepool scorer; Bordeaux result & score)

Owlatron - 4 points (Bristol City result; Hartlepool scorer & 1st scorer)

Bottletop - 3 points (Bristol City result; Hartlepool scorer)

riotact - 3 points (Bristol City result & score)

Master B - 1 points (Doncaster scorer)

summerbayexile - 1 points (Hartlepool scorer)

Yakusmaximus - 1 points (Hartlepool scorer)



[i] Of course the Pools was a generally crap way of gambling as the average return on the stake money was a pathetic 30%. The bulk of the money being used in paying all of the hoards of collectors and result checkers employed all round the country. Plus of course the big fat cut that went to the Moores family.


FF14 - Week Six - Results

Post 46

Ormondroyd

Actually, without Blackpool's last-minute equaliser, I'd have had a full house. smiley - sadface But still, six points turned out to be a good score this week.

Well done Andy smiley - applause and (as you were too modest to mention it) well done to you, Mr Desk, for topping the table! smiley - ok


FF14 - Week Six - Results

Post 47

summerbayexile

If GD wins the comp, does he present himself with the mousemat?
My inexorable slide has started I'm afraid, so the answer probably won't apply to me anyway!!smiley - laugh
SBE


FF14 - Week Six - Results

Post 48

Mu Beta

Well, in theory, I present him with the mousemat. Seeing as how I slipped him about a dozen of them at a Meet last year. smiley - biggrin

You knock my poor performance, but remember who got you the prizes.

B


FF14 - Week Six - Results

Post 49

me[Andy]g

smiley - yikes I won? With 8 points? Maybe I should predict draws more often... smiley - ermsmiley - smileysmiley - bubbly


FF14 - Week Six - Results

Post 50

riotact : like a phoenix from the ashes

o hapless happenstance! only 3 points? i must be getting buried in the...




carry on then.


FF14 - Week Six

Post 51

riotact : like a phoenix from the ashes

to continue the discussion on the difference in ticket prices between the UK and the continent, this from the fiver's letters:

"Tom Betts said he spent a total of 22€ on tickets for three Big
Cup games at the San Siro. Why, when he could have paid just £10 to
see Leeds United reserves v Bolton reserves at the South Leeds
stadium instead. What's that all about?"

now THAT is well and truly scandalous. OL's reserves are arguably as good as any in europe, and no one would dream of charging a penny to watch them play.

and sprout, i imagine you must be hopping mad about the bordeaux match, and i don't blame you. hey, s*** happens!


FF14 - Week Six

Post 52

GreyDesk

I guess they charge for reserve matches because we expect to have to pay to watch football. Though £10 does seem like an awful lot of money.


FF14 - Week Six

Post 53

sprout

There's a whole article on this theme on the Guardian online today.

Basically, a lot of football in the UK is a rip off, but that's not really news is it? I think a certain number of clubs are going to find out the hard way that the loyalty and the pockets of their fans have limits. Particularly those that play 4-5-1 and grind out low scoring games...

sprout

ps riotact - I didn't see the game on TV in the end - were we robbed? Certainly Wiltord scoring will not have gone down too well...


FF14 - Week Six

Post 54

Ormondroyd

smiley - huh What's happened to Week Seven, Deskmeister?


FF14 - Week Six

Post 55

GreyDesk

I have entirely fotgotten to type up the list of matches. The list that is lovingly clipped to the stack of all of the other weeks' match details, results, and scores etc.

Sorry smiley - blush


FF14 - Week Six

Post 56

Ormondroyd

Don't worry. I'm sure it can be put down to the shock of seeing your boys four points clear at the top of the table. smiley - winkeye


FF14 - Week Six

Post 57

riotact : like a phoenix from the ashes

sprout - "I didn't see the game on TV in the end - were we robbed?"

oh, four handballs in the penalty area, 6 yellows, the gamewinner called back for offsides... smiley - whistle

Ormondroyd - "Don't worry. I'm sure it can be put down to the shock of seeing your boys four points clear at the top of the table."

oh he'll get used to it. i have!


Key: Complain about this post