A Conversation for The Meanings of Usernames

Try Mine?

Post 1

Granny Weatherwax - ACE - Hells Belle, Mother-in-Law from the Pit - Haunting near you on Saturday

I promise not to cast a spell on you if you're right!


Try Mine?

Post 2

Sad, Mad or Bad? - I always wanted to be a dino, but alas, I'm just old.

Me too please? I'm sure there's some weird symbolism in mine... smiley - winkeye


Analysing for Granny Weatherwax

Post 3

Martin Harper

*runs around the room screaming*
She's a smiley - witch, she's a smiley - witch!

It never hurts to state the blatantly obvious: it makes the wilder leaps somewhat easier to pull off... So let's start by guessing that this name might possibly, just maybe, be from Terry Prattchet's discworld series: Granny Weatherwax, for those who don't know, is the oldest witch of three in a coven, and the one who is most 'traditional' in her witching.

So now I've cleverly guessed where the name comes from... why might someone pick it? Well, the obvious things are that this is a PTerry fan - no surprises there. I'd be guessing that it's somebody comparatively old - though young at heart, and someone I'd be foolish to try and play guess-the-age with, lest I go all froglike. Three witches... could this be the eldest of three sisters? Or the eldest of a group of three friends, perhaps...

Beyond that... well, the capitalisation is normal, so someone conventional - that fits with the claimed age: here be wisdom, me feels. And at that stage, I must give up: there be naught so opaque as a name from popular fiction: you can guess that the wearer has similar qualities to the character - but which qualities, and to what extent... *shrug* who knows?


Analysing for Granny Weatherwax

Post 4

Granny Weatherwax - ACE - Hells Belle, Mother-in-Law from the Pit - Haunting near you on Saturday

Sorry, wrong about most of that, but I do like PTerry. I've got no sisters, the capitalisation is a hangover from my job and I'm only old compared to.....say.....(searches her memory for SOMEONE younger.......)


Analysing for Granny Weatherwax

Post 5

Martin Harper

yep: nothing so opaque as a name from fiction... smiley - erm

You win some, and... well, the other thing smiley - winkeye


Key: Complain about this post