A Conversation for Biodiversity Impoverishment

Does it matter?

Post 1

Tibley Bobley

smiley - applauseWell put! And if ecosystems do collapse globally, as you suggest, turning the whole world into a wasteland, that needs millions of years to be rehabilitated, we probably won't be around to prevent the rehabilitation happening.

I read a book a few years ago in which it was estimated that the human-driven rate of extinction of birds and mammals alone, is about one hundred times the background level (ie the normal level, undriven by us) and, as staggering as that figure is, Edward O Wilson (the ant man) suggests the current loss of rainforest species, particularly invertebrates, is at least a thousand times above normal.

Isn't it strange, the way so many people can seem uninterested in such a holocaust of devastation to the natural world?


Does it matter?

Post 2

Willem

Thanks for reading and for your comments Tibley Bobley! I agree with everything of course. I'm still trying to figure out how people can be made aware of the importance of the current extinction crisis! I'll check up on Edward O. Wilson ...


Does it matter?

Post 3

Tibley Bobley

There are some people who won't be interested in this mass-extinction crisis or the destruction of the environment until they notice that there's nothing left for them (personally) to eat, there's nothing in the shops, the lights have all gone out and their house is on fire. Then they'll complain that someone else didn't stop it happening.

If you ever find a way to get the attention of that rather large group focused on anything other than their own consumption and entertainment, you will have worked something like a miracle.

In the meantime, there's also a large group who do caresmiley - ok

If you haven't heard of E O Wilson as a writer on ants or rain forests, you might have come across his writing on sociobiology. He used to be a bit controversial. In any case, he's very interesting and definitely one of the good guys!

smiley - smiley


Does it matter?

Post 4

Willem

Hello again Tibley Bobley! I now remember having heard of Edward O. Wilson in a different context, rather controversial as you say. But I'll read up on his ant stuff as well!

I tend to be more in the 'nurture' camp when it comes to human nature! I don't deny the importance of genetics. BUT I think much of human behaviour is immensely influenced by other factors! For instance ... I really think the apathy and ignorance in human society, is something against which something can be done!

In the meantime I hope to find more of the people of that group that DOES care!


Does it matter?

Post 5

Tibley Bobley

Hello Pillowcasesmiley - smiley

I wish you every success in your endeavour. Only the combined good will of a large minority (or better still, the large majority) can turn this ship around, I think.

Re the nature/nurture argument, I'm not in any camp. I don't suppose Mr Wilson is either. He just states the 'facts' as he sees them without prejudice or any hidden axe to grind. He seems a very genuine and nice man. It's a while since I read any of his books but, so far as I remember, he doesn't in the least deny the importance of nurture. He argues that it's not *all* nurture, there's also a considerable dollop of nature - that we are animals too, with all that entails. Some people took offence at this notion. To me though, it made perfect sense.


Does it matter?

Post 6

Willem

Hi again Tibley Bobley! Yes we are animals, I agree with that, no offense to that! I also agree that there's nature *and* nurture. I'm gonna see about getting to read something by Wilson.

At any rate I think there are many people today who take offense too easily. Some people take offense at what someone said without even understanding it!


Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Biodiversity Impoverishment

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more