A Conversation for Ricecakes : An Overview

Not The Whole Story!

Post 1

The Apprentice

I feel that this entry needs more work before progressing... Where is the history, the analysis?

What is the history of the ricecake? Certainly it's not a modern invention. The Akha of Thailand have been eating haw-nyaw for generations, a circular cake made from seasoned steamed rice. There may some other basis for the creation of the modern ricecake, but there is not suggestion here what it might be.

Ricecakes come in all different shapes and sizes. The originals are the CD-sized variety, which is about 11 centimetres or 4-and-a-half inches in diameter, but there are also square ricecakes, and all dimensions vary. There are the 'crisp' or 'chip'-like variety, the wafer-thin kind, and the half-sized version.

I would suggest that all good supermarkets stock standard ricecakes and most stock the variations, as well as the plethora of health food stores. Could more clarification be given to the kind of people who would eat ricecakes and why? The statement 'certain nutritional disorders' is particularly vague. And which varieties of ricecake aren't gluten-free?

I know for a fact that, fresh or soft, ricecakes ALWAYS taste like cardboard.

It would be worth noting that the launch of the ricecake as a munchy snack has shown its considerable versatility, supporting flavours from barbecue to chocolate, caramel to haddock (OK... maybe not). In regard to toppings, what about cheese or pre-packed snadwich toppers? How about using it with dips?


Key: Complain about this post

Not The Whole Story!

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more