A Conversation for H2G2 Meeting in South Germany

1. Treffen desKommitees zur Vorbereitung des Treffens der süddeutschen Sektion der HaZwoGehZwo in Karlsruhe (vorläufiger Tagungsort)

Post 1

Tschörmen (german) -|-04.04.02

Welcome and hallo to this Thread.

Developments so far: We intend to hold off a meeting for researchers on h2g2(at h2g2) in the south of germany (meaning Baden-Württemberg). Suggestions have been made to the comitee that the meet is to be held on a Weekend in December 2000 with food, drinks and sleeping in the vicinity of the town of Karlsruhe. Definite information is apt to be coming up.

The official languages are to be German and English. Should there occur any questions concerning contents of this forum, feel free to use a dictionary and the knowledge of your basic language classes.

Thank you.

Die Sitzung ist eröffnet!


1. Treffen desKommitees zur Vorbereitung des Treffens der süddeutschen Sektion der HaZwoGehZwo in Karlsruhe (vorläufiger Tagungsort)

Post 2

You can call me TC


I would like to substantiate the chairman's proposal by forwarding his own suggestion of Venue: Waldbronn, (Gasthaus zum Hirschen) and would like to propose the date : 9/10 December 2000.

Further suggestions for plans - meet Saturday mid-afternoon for a walk in the Black Forest, finishing up with a glühwein at the nearest Christmas market, moving on to a meal in the same town. Sunday morning could be spent admiring the castle in Karlsruhe, or any other of the many places of interest - e.g. Maulbronn (haven't seen that myself) or a trip to France, by ferry to Strasbourg.

I really must get out my maps and find out exactly where Waldbronn is.


1. Treffen desKommitees zur Vorbereitung des Treffens der süddeutschen Sektion der HaZwoGehZwo in Karlsruhe (vorläufiger Tagungsort)

Post 3

Tschörmen (german) -|-04.04.02

The thing is, the Hirsch is just a pub. So I cannot exactly tell you where there is a worthwhile place to stay. I could go and have a look for a cheep place here in Bad Herrenalb. There would be a few nice walks around here, too.

Too many possebilities, too many decisions to make...


1. Treffen desKommitees zur Vorbereitung des Treffens der süddeutschen Sektion der HaZwoGehZwo in Karlsruhe (vorläufiger Tagungsort)

Post 4

ringo (it's not all right)

being a lazy bloke. i fully agree with TCs suggestion smiley - smiley

a simple pub is ok, i mean we're not going there for an overwhelming pub, where going there to meet each other - for an overwhelming company, so to say smiley - winkeye
btw, where's Waldbronn?

*looks for a map*


1. Treffen des Kommitees zur Vorbereitung des Treffens der süddeutschen Sektion der HaZwoGehZwo in Karlsruhe (vorläufiger Tagungsort)

Post 5

Tschörmen (german) -|-04.04.02

Bog, Waldbronn was just a suggestion. We can just as well look for something in Karlsruhe. There´s three irish pubs of which I know. Komunikation could get a little difficult there. The place in Waldbronn is quite a nice pub. Could be that there is a bluesband playing (I´ll check it out for those dates).

There also is the Jubez, Substage, and the Tollhaus. And the Unverschämt is a disco playing 80ies and 90ies Hard rock music.

That about covers my experience of Karlsruhe Night-life.


1. Treffen des Kommitees zur Vorbereitung des Treffens der süddeutschen Sektion der HaZwoGehZwo in Karlsruhe (vorläufiger Tagungsort)

Post 6

Monsignore Pizzafunghi Bosselese

Well thank you Mr. Chairman for having the floor, and being glad to (..... forget about the rest...).
I just think a loud place like a disco would not be what we are looking for, so some rather silent 'Gasthaus' anywhere in the wilderness or wherever else would just do.


1. Treffen des Kommitees zur Vorbereitung des Treffens der süddeutschen Sektion der HaZwoGehZwo in Karlsruhe (vorläufiger Tagungsort)

Post 7

Tschörmen (german) -|-04.04.02

I know one or two places in Calw that could be considered, but that meens access by car (or a lot of coordination).

There is a lovely place in a village called Holzbronn, The "Krabbanescht", where you get homemade whiskey and liquour. And then there is the "Samelsurium" (hm. It´s mostly the "freaks" in there and if you need anything else... so I opt aout of this one) and then there is the "Lamm" in Ottenbronn and the "Rappen" in Calw itself. But service isn´t as good as it used to be. And in Oberreichenbach there is the "Löwen" They´ve got a piano. (Do we need a piano???)

NOW! any other suggestions????


1. Treffen des Kommitees zur Vorbereitung des Treffens der süddeutschen Sektion der HaZwoGehZwo in Karlsruhe (vorläufiger Tagungsort)

Post 8

ringo (it's not all right)

HOLZBRONN!!
thought i was the only human being outside of Holzbronn who knows this village smiley - winkeye
never been there for drinking and/or a good night out - so why not

a car is not a problem for me, how about the others?


1. Treffen des Kommitees zur Vorbereitung des Treffens der süddeutschen Sektion der HaZwoGehZwo in Karlsruhe (vorläufiger Tagungsort)

Post 9

Monsignore Pizzafunghi Bosselese

I am going to come by car, regardless of any bad weather or whatever. And I offer to pick up anybody between Munich and Holzbronn or wherever the meeting takes place smiley - smiley


1. Treffen des Kommitees zur Vorbereitung des Treffens der süddeutschen Sektion der HaZwoGehZwo in Karlsruhe (vorläufiger Tagungsort)

Post 10

Tschörmen (german) -|-04.04.02

The Krabbanescht is a real good place for a meeting, as there should be plenty of space. There´s all kinds of people hanging out there. The one time I was there, there were cars from all over BaWü.

Walking in the area is quite nice, I believe. We could go Icescating on the "Gültlinger See" if it is already cold enough (I doubt it!), there are the castles at Zavelstein and Wildberg or down in the direction of Nagold, and any intrested in books and authors could go and visit Hermann Hesse´s birthhouse (and museum)

Gosh, what a lot of possebilities. I think I will have to put up a survey to find out what anybody wants...


1. Treffen des Kommitees zur Vorbereitung des Treffens der süddeutschen Sektion der HaZwoGehZwo in Karlsruhe (vorläufiger Tagungsort)

Post 11

TowelMaster

Hello people,

I don't want to be the prick who is too correct, so I shall say this only once smiley - winkeye, bUt : Every meet I have been to so far involved large quantities of a beverage containing 'alcohol'.

Al'co'hol - A liquid formed by the fermentation of sugars. It has a mild intoxicating effect on certain carbon-based lifeforms.

So if you are all coming by car, will you all be drinking your ass off ? What about cheap hotels/motels nearby ?

TM.


1. Treffen des Kommitees zur Vorbereitung des Treffens der süddeutschen Sektion der HaZwoGehZwo in Karlsruhe (vorläufiger Tagungsort)

Post 12

You can call me TC


Yep - we'd already agreed some people would be staying overnight.

How about this date? Is it OK by you lot?

How many would come from Holland if we do have it on that date?

Would you like a walk in the Black Forest or to see something local? It seems a pity to come all that way just to look at the bottom of a glass, you can do that at home!

Next time I think of it, I shall get out my map and check out these places, too - I vaguely know they're not too far.


1. Treffen des Kommitees zur Vorbereitung des Treffens der süddeutschen Sektion der HaZwoGehZwo in Karlsruhe (vorläufiger Tagungsort)

Post 13

Tschörmen (german) -|-04.04.02

Here is another suggestion, apropriate for the season. In Bad Wildbad (that is dead in the sticks) there is a lovely bath, made in the style of the turn fo last century: High walls, glass windows, the lot. It isn´t cheep, but it offers a number of different baths, bubbling baths, saunas, 50°C-saunas, etc. Just to get into the spirit of being Captain of the B-Ark...

I will have a look at the hotel issue. I am also concidering other meens (means?) of accomodation.

I have come to a point where I would very much like to welcome you around the Landkreis Calw, where I live. This planingbuisniss is getting me all fidgety and full of anticipation.


1. Treffen des Kommitees zur Vorbereitung des Treffens der süddeutschen Sektion der HaZwoGehZwo in Karlsruhe (vorläufiger Tagungsort)

Post 14

You can call me TC


If there's any way we can help... Or do you like being fidgety with anticipation - sounds fun!?


1. Treffen des Kommitees zur Vorbereitung des Treffens der süddeutschen Sektion der HaZwoGehZwo in Karlsruhe (vorläufiger Tagungsort)

Post 15

identify_me_by_long_nick_with_underscores_;-)

High all!

I am definitely interrested in attending. I am located near Stuttgart and I will have to come by train, 'coz I ain't got no drivers license. So there'd one more person in need of a (preferably cheap) place to spend the night. And perhaps someone could give me a lift for part of the way. But December is still some time off, so there's probably no need to engange in this kind of arrangements at this early stage, just wanted to mention it, you know, just in case. smiley - smiley


1. Treffen des Kommitees zur Vorbereitung des Treffens der süddeutschen Sektion der HaZwoGehZwo in Karlsruhe (vorläufiger Tagungsort)

Post 16

Tschörmen (german) -|-04.04.02

Thanks TC. I do hope there will be help, first of all with the dicisionmaking. I will be putting up a map of the area (I hope this weekend) with all the proposals and places signed in . I will then go and look for cheep accomodations when we know what we want to do. So just keep on popping by, I´ll keep you informed on progress of the article.


1. Treffen des Kommitees zur Vorbereitung des Treffens der süddeutschen Sektion der HaZwoGehZwo in Karlsruhe (vorläufiger Tagungsort)

Post 17

You can call me TC

Welcome nick - a word of warning.... once you change your name it causes havoc, if you're participating in dozens of conversations and are being referred to by that name there. The name changes in the title, but not, of course, in the postings.

You sound English. I shall include you in my now mammouth list which is to be published soon - you can look at it in its present state on A448328.

And Bossel may be able to pick you up, as he's coming from Munich way.


1. Treffen des Kommitees zur Vorbereitung des Treffens der süddeutschen Sektion der HaZwoGehZwo in Karlsruhe (vorläufiger Tagungsort)

Post 18

Tschörmen (german) -|-04.04.02

Hurra! I have got something quicker fixed then I thought, and am quite pleased with the result:

Ladies and Gentlemen: Would you please kindly procede to have a look at the map and the suggestions in the article to this forum. The jpg is a little large, I must admit, but at least everyone gets an idea of the whereabouts, etc.

Please make further suggestions and tell me what you want to do, so we can get down to the actual organizing.


1. Treffen des Kommitees zur Vorbereitung des Treffens der süddeutschen Sektion der HaZwoGehZwo in Karlsruhe (vorläufiger Tagungsort)

Post 19

Monsignore Pizzafunghi Bosselese


1. Treffen des Kommitees zur Vorbereitung des Treffens der süddeutschen Sektion der HaZwoGehZwo in Karlsruhe (vorläufiger Tagungsort)

Post 20

Monsignore Pizzafunghi Bosselese

As I don't know any of the places there, I'd opt for proposal #3 or #7 from your descriptions. Think these come closest to my idea of a place where one can 'hold amol e Schwätzche' rather than skiing or the like. And home-made whiskey doesn't sound bad.
And of course: Stuttgart will be on my way, so anybody in between can be picked up, no problem.


Key: Complain about this post