Eclipse Central

1 Conversation

On Thursday, 21 June 2001, a total eclipse of the Sun will be visible in a narrow path in the Southern Hemisphere. The path of the Moon's shadow will begin in the South Atlantic just east of the South American continent and cross southern Africa, and Madagascar and end at sunset in the Indian Ocean.

A partial eclipse will be seen in the a broader path, convering an area that includes eastern South America and most of SubSarahan Africa.

The path of totality will cross the Zambian capital city of Lusaka where the eclipse will last approximately 200 seconds. The path of the total eclipse will also cross the countries of Angola, Zambia, Zimbabwe, Mozambique, and Madagascar.

This eclipse will occur during the 'dry season' when this part of the world experiences rainfall of less than 1 mm per month. So the odds of having clear skies are rather good!

Several tour companies are offering 'African Eclpise Safaris' combining an exploration of this region with astronomical observations. Check with your local astronomy society or travel agent for details.

The following is a chart which shows roughly the times which the eclipse will occur at selected African cities and the percent of coverage:

Lagos, Nigeria12.15 GMT50 percent
Lobito, Angola12.40 GMT100 percent
Kinshasa, Democratic Republic of the Congo12.40 GMT85 percent
Capetown, South Africa12.50 GMT50 percent
Lusaka, Zambia13.10 GMT100 percent
Johannesburg, South Africa13.10 GMT75 percent
Kampala, Kenya13.15 GMT55 percent
Quelimane, Mozambique13.20 GMT100 percent
Nariobi, Kenya13.25 GMT50 percent
Dar-es-Salaam, Tanzania13.25 GMT70 percent
Antananarivo, Madagascar13.30 GMT90 percent

For more information, check out NASA's eclipse website.

Health warning

You should always take care to protect your vision during an eclipse. When the Sun's apparent brightness drops by 50 percent, it's still bright enough to cause permanent eye damage if you would look directly at the solar disc. Remember that the eye's retina has no pain receptors so you can do serious harm to your vision without ever feeling it. For further reading, check out how to view a solar eclipse.

Old Eclpises

On Christmas Day, 25 December, 2000, there will be a partial eclipse of the Sun visible to the lower 48 states in the USA as well as parts of Canada and much of Central America.

A partial solar eclipse occurs when the Moon passes between the Sun and Earth, blocking some but not all of the Sun's light. In this particular eclispe, 72 percent of the Sun will be eclipsed in northern Canada, but for most of the major cities in the northeastern United States, about 50 percent of the Sun will be blocked from view. The coverages falls to 20 percent in Mexico and even lower the further south one travels. The Sun will rise in eclipse on the Pacific Coast and it will occur later in the day the further east you travel.


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A432019

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

References

h2g2 Entries

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more