A Conversation for Eclipse Central

Darkness

Post 1

~ jwf ~ scribblo ergo sum

Looking forward to darkness at noon.......


Darkness

Post 2

~ jwf ~ scribblo ergo sum

Eclipse on Xmas day? Viewable in Canada you say? What bloody eclipse? It snowed and snowed and snowed some more. If it got 'darker' around noon, who knew? And what with the snow cutting us off from anyone who might come by, and there being that much more eggnob for the snowbound, who cares?
NOTE TO SELF: Save some for New Year's; may not get to the store before that. If it doesn't rain and wash this snow away we may never get out of here. Consider buying shovel next time in town.


Darkness

Post 3

Jimi X

LOL! We had perfectly clear skies here in Pennsylania. Four generations of my family put on the solar filter glasses and watched parts of the eclipse. Very cool! smiley - smiley

Sorry you got snowed out, but I was overdue for some good weather! smiley - winkeye

- X


Darkness

Post 4

~ jwf ~ scribblo ergo sum

You take weather as a personal connection between you and whatever Mystery is responsible for it then? You were "overdue some good weather" I believe was the phrase..
Glad to see someone saw it tho.. Four generations! I thot eclipses only lasted a few minutes...what are you people, fruit-flies?
Strangely, people south of you are reporting much harsher winter confitions and New York had a record snowfall..
You must be in the 'lee' (Pun intended out of respect for one of my favourite American heroes) of the Appalachians.


Darkness

Post 5

Jimi X

No higher powers involved. It's just that for the last few dozen major astronomical events, I've been rained out, snowed out or had thick cloud cover. That string of bad luck had to end at some point.

And as for four generations, my grandmother, parents, brother and my kids all were able to see the eclipse through my special filters. We were all gathered together at my mother's house for X-mas day.

And those folks in Arkansas simply don't know how to deal with bad weather - if you'd have had a storm like that up in Canada, you guys wouldn't have even blinked. smiley - winkeye


Darkness

Post 6

~ jwf ~ scribblo ergo sum

Oh yeah, we tuff.
Why when I was a boy I walked seventeen miles thru seven foot drifts just to get to skool. It was uphill both ways, and if the polar bears didn't gitcha the wolves would.

Blink. Blink.

Seriously, glad y'saw it and shared it with your family. A true cosmic event needs sharing.


Darkness

Post 7

Jimi X

Truer words have never been spoken. Especially here at h2g2. smiley - winkeye


Darkness

Post 8

~ jwf ~ scribblo ergo sum

Full moon comin' up..


Darkness

Post 9

Jimi X

Isn't Europe getting a lunar eclipse this month?
*rushes off to check*

And don't forget what happens here at h2g2 every time the moon is full. smiley - winkeye


Darkness

Post 10

Jimi X

Yep, I was right. Full moon is Tuesday and there is a total lunar eclipse for Europe. In the US, the east coast may only view a tiny bit of it as the moon rises... smiley - sadface


Darkness

Post 11

~ jwf ~ scribblo ergo sum

Uhm..? Forget ..? Me ..? Well ..? OK I give up! What happens at h2g2 whenever there's a full moon (or 13 times a year by my wreckin in)?

Sadly, moonrise (being in the eastern view) is blocked by hills and woods at my place (which is oriented to the south and west for solar efficiency, Solstice observations and 365 marvelous sunsets (weather permitting). I had to choose between sunrises and sunsets and the chances of actually being awake to observe them seemed to favour the settings over the risings.


Darkness

Post 12

Jimi X

Every full moon on site recently we've had a couple of flamers roar through and start attacking people or we've had some minor flame wars among Researchers.

The paid staff in the Towers has taken to marking full moon on their work calendars so they know when to expect the lunacy. smiley - smiley

It really does get nuts around here at that time of the month. Just look at the 'This site is trite crap' forum. It was started one day after full moon.


Darkness

Post 13

~ jwf ~ scribblo ergo sum

Ah.. Thanks for the warning.
Might be a good time for me to stay offline and break my addiction. I certainly wouldn't want to get involved in that sort of thing..
Cosmic forces..
Hmmm..


Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Eclipse Central

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more