Oakfield, the home of Dr John

5 Conversations

Unfortunately, as you can see, I have got the builders in. Consequently I am unable to give you a guided tour. Hopefully, they will be finished by the end of this week.

Oakfield is one of the larger properties in the village. As you probably noticed whilst perusing the village map it is as large as the Village Hall in ground area though, as befits all dwellings in this select rural setting, only one and a half storeys in height (i.e. the bedrooms are all built into the roof space).
Looking at the property from the road, you notice that it is raised a few feet above your ground level on an embankment that is a mass of wild flowers. To the left, the embankment has been cut away to form a sloping driveway in which is parked a 1965 Rover 3.5 Coupe which looks brand new despite its age.
You enter the garden through a small white gate and climb the steps to a small terrace on which sleeps a large hairy dog which opens one eye as you pass, wags its tail once and instantly returns to its dreams. A note written in fountain pen on expensive hand-made paper is pinned to the front door. It reads.......

I am sorry that I cannot be here to greet you in person but several of the Village residents require regular home visits to ensure their continued well-being. Feel free to look around the house whilst I am out.
Should you require anything, my housekeeper will look after until my return.
Dr John

As you finish reading the note, you become aware that the front door now stands open. You step into....

The Hallway

Your first impression is oak. The floor is polished oak, the walls are carved oak panels and the ceiling beams are rough-hewn oak.
Not old blackened oak but fresh golden oak.
It looks like the good doctor has spent a lot of cash on renovating the place.


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A420184

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


References

h2g2 Entries

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more