A Conversation for Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Heart's Club Band

On my friends list

Post 1

Alfredo

I guess it's called "friend's list". Hardly pay notice to it, but I'm aware of it and the few I have posted there are more then just
names for me.

I'll put this website at my friends list.
Very rare, because I was in those days (as I described at the BBC-Music memory site in 2002) not a "fan" like a clone, because I was ánd still am too self willed to do so.

But, since that website project I started to listen more and more to their music again, something that happened just one evening in two years.

I bought the complete lyrics book, and that's a real treasure London Press. Expensive but "dignified", and I like that.ISBN 0.7119.7550.7

I discovered that the main group of songs I love the most were at Beatles for Sale, Help, Rubber Soul and Redvolver.
the songs still have not become totally mature, as is in the later albums, but they have so much energy and sheer joy. Joy in the very best meaning and hard to find on this planet.

I am born in Amsterdam 1951.


On my friends list

Post 2

Alfredo

Just discover that this entry doesn't have an "Add to Friends" option.

But, I'll follow some converstations.


Greetings, Alfredo.

After the Beatles period (which was absolutely exhausting for them; they were the first "cult-group" although that word didn't exist in those days) I liked Lennons songs the most in his Plastic Ono band period (although with the everlasting irritating Yoko..).
He always had a natural idealistic attitude towards life (that doesn't mean that he was always pleasant to have around.Julian, his son can speak about that.)

But take a song like Dear Prudence or the bootleg; "don't be afraid, it's just life" etc.
Yes it had a lot of content.

I must admit that Pauls input in the Beatles was far more then I ever thought. Wings was horrible and he publicly admits it is not of much value"weak imitation of the Beatles".



On my friends list

Post 3

NPY

Hi Alfredo!!

Sounds like you've thought a lot about the Beatles stuff. I'm a bit disappointed that I wasn't around to hear them when they were starting out. (If I'm honest, John died a couple of years before I was born, so I missed out big time.)

But their music was genious. Are you familiar with George and Ringo's solo work at all?


On my friends list

Post 4

Alfredo

I am not that familair with Ringo's and Georges work.
It had very small quality, compared to the Fab.Four.

On distance I remained interested in their way of live.
George appeared to have suffered the most by the Beatle mania; "They gave us their yells, but we gave our souls". That's true.

WHen the FF had a concert in New york, you could see four young men,
sitting in a cage with wire mesh waiting to "perform".

Prisoners of the beatlemania.

John later said; they didn't come to hear us, but they came to see us.

No, for en to me, Beatlesmania was far more destructive then


On my friends list

Post 5

Alfredo

I am not that familair with Ringo's and Georges work, although I heard it all around 2000.
It had for very small quality, compared to the Fab.Four.

On distance I remained interested in their way of live.
George appeared to have suffered the most by the Beatles-mania; "They gave us their yells, but we gave our souls". That's very true.

WHen they had a concert in New york, you could see four young men,
sitting in a cage with wire mesh, waiting to be able to "perform" after 20 minutes.

Prisoners of the beatlemania.

John later said; "they didn't come to hear us, but they came to see us".

For and tó me, Beatlesmania was far more destructive then what it gave (populairity, world wide).

I also did not buy the book that was released around 2000, full of colour pictures, etc. It was related to the release of their - Anthology. Very commercial project by the way.


But the Beatles themsélves - as four very good friends - "the pure energetic joy in their music"(Geldolf), their enormous creativity, the personalities and their engagement with politics was very uplifting. And their great feeling for humor, also. Really great.

That's why I granted their music to effect my life and inspire me,
as it still does, in the background of my life. Mainly half consciously.

Although you are born after the Great Invation (that has pushed many great musicians aside, by the beatles fans), you could have read one of the results of that,around 2002, when George died by cancer in the USA.
He could hardly move any hand or arm. The doctor in hospital had brought with him the guitar of his daughter. He tóók the arm of George
and "created" a signature at the guitar.

Really sickening, that whole mania.
The family of Geaorge is suing the doctor.And right they are.

The four went on with their own lifes, many fans did too, for the same reasons, but many maniac-fans made an old fossil of that period, the Beatles and themselves.

When someone is inspired however, the face is at the future, not continuously at the passed.
In thát way, the seeds of the warm music of the beatles still inspire me.

But I do feel a need to be waiting of something of the passed.
A fellow Dutchman had stolen in the 60th the Beatles tapes they had made. Because of that they were never released.
Two years ago he presented it at E-Bay and got arrested. He lives in "Alkmaar", above Amsterdam.
Paul said, he was very interested in still releasing it.

I would be glad as a child, if that would really happen.
What a smile will then uprise in my heart.

Greetings from Amsterdam


P.S. By accident I did post a message before ending it.
I'm sorry


On my friends list

Post 6

NPY

Yeah. Think it's so scary that they were followed by so many screaming fans. I recently heard that at concerts they sang obscene lyrics simply because no-one could hear them.

I know George was probably the most spiritual one out of the four of them. Songs like "My Sweet Lord" I don't think the others would have written.


John Lennons jukebox

Post 7

Alfredo

If you would like to know who and what inspired John to create the music as a member of the Beatles, you better stay alert when the program is at TV.

It is called; John Lennons jukebox

He appeared to have his own jukebox in his house.
And according to all the records they found on it after his dead, they interview the musicions from those records, like Donovan, etc.
A véry interesting program of about 50 minutes.


John Lennons jukebox

Post 8

Alfredo

I know George was probably the most spiritual one out of the four of them.

Yes he did some singing and writing with Lennon in that spiritual eastern filosophy.

George also participated in some albums of Lennon. At least one.


John Lennons jukebox

Post 9

Michael

I did hear something about that, I'd be interested in seeing the program, no idea when it's on though.


John Lennons jukebox

Post 10

NPY

Sounds like an interesting programme. Have to keep an eye out for it coming on.


John Lennons jukebox

Post 11

Alfredo

Yes, it's réally exiting to see.
They show how some melodies, riffs, etc. were taken over by Lennon.

Also Donovan showed Lennon in India how he - Donovan - creates "patterns" at the guitar and after two days Lennon could do it on its own and used it immediately for Dear Prudence, the sister of Mia Ferrow, as I recollect.

Art can never exist without hitory and interactions.

Also became clear where he found/heard the beginning of "Taxman".

etc. etc.

I don't know if it was a BBC production. I can see one of these days,
because it is recorded on my video.


John Lennons jukebox

Post 12

Michael

Well I googled it, I think it's an "international" project which the BBC took part in, so they should be showing in at some point.


John Lennons jukebox

Post 13

Alfredo


I promise to look at the video that I have and I'll tell you.


John Lennons jukebox

Post 14

Alfredo

Well I finally found the information;

It is a production by INITIAL and Channel four International.

Idee; John Midwinter

Producers; Malcolm Gerrie and Christopher Walkers.

It includes also the Beatles' covers that were in the Jukebox and about some Lennon himself explains. It is the days that he was fed up "being a Beatle". "It's like going back to school again".

(It's Lennons Jukebox from about 1968 I think)


Greetings from Amsterdam


John Lennons jukebox

Post 15

Michael

Thankssmiley - ok


John Lennons jukebox

Post 16

NPY

Sounds interesting.

Making shapes at the guitar....interesting method. Well Lennon was a genious.


John Lennons jukebox

Post 17

Alfredo

This shows how extremely tired I am;

Quote; "It includes also the Beatles' covers that were in the Jukebox and about some Lennon himself explains. It is the days that he was fed up".

I hardly understand it myself.


John Lennons jukebox

Post 18

Alfredo

Stupid; why didn't we Google about it?

http://www.jpgr.co.uk/col_vtdcd608.html here you can séé it.



And here’s more info http://www.pbs.org/wnet/gperf/shows/lennon/

JOHN LENNON’S JUKEBOX explores the impact of those songs on his life and the times in which he lived, and evokes the spirit that propelled a rock and roll delinquent to become an icon. Authorized by Yoko Ono and featuring commentary by Sting, this unique documentary puts a delicious new spin on a classic tale, re-creating the sound of a revolution in the making. Among the featured songs are Otis Redding’s version of “My Girl,” Wilson Pickett’s “In the Midnight Hour,” Fontella Bass’ “Rescue Me,” the Lovin’ Spoonful’s “Daydream/Do You Believe in Magic,” and hits by a wealth of other ‘60s music icons.

When it came to musical inspiration, even the Beatles got by with a little help from their friends. Like so many young aspiring musicians, John Lennon learned and improved his playing by covering and imitating his idols. In Lennon’s Musical Inspiration, the Multimedia Presentation, get to know some of the artists whose 45s were found in Lennon’s jukebox and whose work contributed to his musical education. In the essay, writer Ed Ward examines how the music included in Lennon’s record collection contributed to the development of the unique Beatles sound. Find the complete directory of tracks in the 30-pound portable jukebox, the 1960s version of today’s iPod™, in the song list.




Here you can even buy a look-a-like

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0001IW61C/102-8011114-6137714?v=glance



here you get all the answers;

http://www.answers.com/topic/john-lennon-s-jukebox


Here the news about the docu that was just made in 2004
http://www.guardian.co.uk/arts/news/story/0,11711,1164013,00.html






John Lennons jukebox

Post 19

Alfredo


And finally,


Quote; `This program is not available on VHS or DVD`.


John Lennons jukebox

Post 20

Michael

smiley - groan


Key: Complain about this post