A Conversation for Entry of the Month

Entry of the Year?

Post 1

U168592

I wondered, now we've had 12 months of voting, is it worthwhile bringing in Entry of the Year? The coding for the badge would be simple enough to change, from blue to Gold maybe, and theYear written in.

We'd simply have to vote on all the winners from the past 12.

Just an idea, but now h2g2 is linked from the BB homepage, it might be another way of encouraging writing?


Entry of the Year?

Post 2

Beatrice

Good idea! I'd favour it being a calendar year though, rather than just 12 months after it started.


Entry of the Year?

Post 3

U168592

Me too. I'm considering setting up a 'Past Entries of the Month' page, for those Entries from before September 2007. Maybe. smiley - erm

That way we'd be able to vote on Entry of the Year properly smiley - smiley


Entry of the Year?

Post 4

Malabarista - now with added pony

Would it be just from those 12, or from any of the year's entries?


Entry of the Year?

Post 5

U168592

Well I thought that the 12 Entry of the Month's would be the shortlist if you like, but I suppose you could vote outside of those...


Entry of the Year?

Post 6

Malabarista - now with added pony

Just wondering, because it could be hard to achieve any kind of consensus, seeing as so few people vote anyway.


Entry of the Year?

Post 7

Icy North

That's the thing.

Most EotMs were chosen on a very small vote, and few got 50% of the popular vote.

On the other hand, if you open it up to all 500 or so entries, then people will find it difficult to select one, and with so few people voting, you may not get a clear winner.

It's not an easy one to resolve.


Entry of the Year?

Post 8

Malabarista - now with added pony

Maybe if there were a built-in voting tool? I think people are just too lazy. Also, sad as it is, anonymity might help. From some of the things I've read, I think it's threatening to turn into a kind of popularity contest, even in such a mature place as h2g2. smiley - erm Or am I just too paranoid?

Sorry, not really the place for this. Entry of the Year - I can make an animated golden gleaming/sparkling badge, if I get the original one at a good resolution... smiley - discosmiley - artist


Entry of the Year?

Post 9

Icy North

A web voting gadget would be the best solution for all of this, really. But I'm sure we're not going to get one any time soon.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more