A Conversation for CCTV, Data and Privacy

CCTV and personal data

Post 1

Frank Parker

"We don't care" says the poster of this article. And it seems (s)he's right. First published over ten moths ago, featured twice on the front page and the response from the h2g2 community is absolutley zilch, nix, nothing!
We ought to care. If only because, as the poster points out, the overload on data systems makes the actual data virtually useless because of the (wo)man-hours needed to trawl though it all in order to find anything relevant to a particular crime.
Last night's TV and today's newspapers carried CCTV images of guys who are alleged to have stolen £43m of jewellery from a bond street shop. Have we caught them? Are we likely to? Traditionally such crimes would be solved by tracing the stolen goods when/if they start to appear on the market. My guess is that the same will happen this time and that the CCTV will merely confirm what will already be provable in other ways.
Meanwhile CCTV must capture 10s of thousands of illegal drug deals every week. How many dealers are taken off the streets as a result? I don't know but suspect it's minuscule. Drug crime continues to be all pervasive with gangs making millions from a lucrative international trade which the authorities seem to be powerless to stop.


CCTV and personal data

Post 2

aka Bel - A87832164

I think the lack of comments may partly be due to the fact that this was published as a journal entry (where it got some comments) before I found it and asked for permission to publish it here in smiley - thepost.
So you see, I found it important enough to publish it here in order to reach more people. I'm sure many people have read it, but unfortunately, most never leave a comment.

Bel


Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for CCTV, Data and Privacy

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more