A Conversation for The Potter's Heron Hotel, Ampfield, Hampshire, UK

A396588 - Potter's Heron Hotel, Ampfield

Post 1

Positive Feedback

Hi there,

I reviewed a hotel I stayed at in Hampshire
http://www.h2g2.com/A396588
which I commend to your good selves.

I'm aware that first-person reporting is generally frowned upon, but in order to convey my own impressions I felt it was justified: besides, it is conventionally accepted in journalistic reviews for restaurants etc.

It is rather a damning indictment of an inferior establishment, so I'd be completely happy if it is too hot for the Edited part of the Guide to handle - but it IS a guide, so perhaps this sort of thing should be included?

PF
smiley - winkeye


A396588 - Potter's Heron Hotel, Ampfield

Post 2

Crescent

It is a good Entry, but to become an Edited Entry it should be third person. As you said it is a guide, and it should contain the bad, as well as the good smiley - smiley However, as mentioned before, it should be third person, or it probably will not get anywhere, and if it does, the SubEd will have to butcher it to make it third person. But so much potential here smiley - smiley Hope this helped...
BCNU - Crescent


A396588 - Potter's Heron Hotel, Ampfield

Post 3

Positive Feedback

I knew you'd say that: but as I pointed out, journalistic tradition has it that reviews are the one time a reporter can put himself in there.

Just to prove that 1st person is sometimes allowed, see
http://www.h2g2.com/A169652
Which wasn't just approved, it was applauded by the Editors (quite rightly).

Go on, try putting it forward, you know you want to! smiley - winkeye

PF


A396588 - Potter's Heron Hotel, Ampfield

Post 4

Lentilla (Keeper of Non-Sequiturs)

No, to be honest, I have to agree with Crescent, and say that this needs to be in third person.

Sometimes an entry has to be in first person, because the personal experiences are intrinsic to the nature of the article. The fact that this 'bad hotel experience' happened to you and your wife doesn't add any information to the article. For example: if I happened to be an experienced lion tamer and trapper, then I would mention a few life experiences with trapping and taming lions that would make the article more interesting.

Also - apart from the mildew on the ceiling, the tiny squishy bed, the poor dinner you were served and the substandard buffet in the morning, there really isn't a lot of information about the hotel (other than visitors to IBM use it frequently.) Obviously it's rather old - are the rest of the furnishings at least interesting? How about some points of interest around the hotel? Any pubs nearby? That sort of thing.

I wish you luck - you have a good start on an entry here.

- Lentilla


A396588 - Potter's Heron Hotel, Ampfield

Post 5

Positive Feedback

Thanks to everyone who gave feedback on this.

I've thought about all you say, and I see the logic behind it. I fully understand that it's not balanced or comprehensive and can't go in as it is.

That said, it reflects my experience more accurately than could any article the Guide might accept. I would feel a fraud writing anything less opinionated. So, as graciously as I can and entirely without rancour, I would like to withdraw it from Peer Review, letting it stand simply as an unEdited article in my own words.

I'll return with less controversial topics later smiley - smiley

PF


A396588 - Potter's Heron Hotel, Ampfield

Post 6

Sam

Having read your entry on Potter's Heron, I for one look forward to you writing more entries for the Guide and hopefiully for Peer Review! Excellent stuff and many thanks smiley - smiley

Sam.


Thread Moved

Post 7

h2g2 auto-messages

Editorial Note: This conversation has been moved from 'Peer Review Sin Bin' to 'The Potter's Heron Hotel, Ampfield, Hampshire, UK'.

Back to Entry - this is an opinion piece.


Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for The Potter's Heron Hotel, Ampfield, Hampshire, UK

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more