A Conversation for Volunteer to be a Sub-editor

How to volunteer as a sub-editor with h2g2

Post 1

Antara Ghosh

Hi,
I would love to volunteer as a sub-editor alongside my on-going sub-editing and design course from London School Of Journalism. Can you guide me to give it a head-start?

Thanks
Antara


How to volunteer as a sub-editor with h2g2

Post 2

Malabarista - now with added pony

Hi Antara, welcome to h2g2! smiley - smiley It's always nice to see enthusiastic new people.

As you may have noticed, this site is going through a lot of changes at the moment - it's being re-done entirely, and possibly changing hands soon - so it might take a little while for everyone to get settled in. So apologies for the chaos you might find...

Sub-editing requires a knowledge of the House Style, so I suggest you read some of the articles others have written. (You can find the three newest on the front page if you use the link to the old version of the site: http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/brunel/ )

To get to know the writing/reviewing process, why not try writing an Entry yourself and putting it in Peer Review? Or just go to Peer Review and pick an entry to read, then have a look at the attached conversation - you can see the comments on that Entry and the changes it goes through. Feel free to comment yourself, because that will help the author out and introduce you to other reviewers and volunteers!

Here's a link to Peer Review on the old site: http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/brunel/PeerReview
And the new site: http://www.bbc.co.uk/h2g2/peer_review/

(Pick whichever you like - the content is the same - but be aware that the old site is currently more stable!)


Reviewing entries there is a great way to get to know the house style and the site - when you've got a bit of experience, I'm sure the Editors will be glad to have you on board!

If you have any questions, just ask me - I'm a sub-editor on this site myself, and currently have an Entry in the Peer Review system as well. smiley - ok


How to volunteer as a sub-editor with h2g2

Post 3

The H2G2 Editors

Great to hear you are interested Antara. And thanks for the welcome Mala. As Mala says, take a good look around the site and maybe chip in with the conversations on Peer Review. Once you are more familiar with the way the site works (there is more information here http://www.bbc.co.uk/h2g2/help/contribute/) please don't hesitate to ask more questions. It would be great to have you. smiley - ok


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more