A Conversation for Volunteer to be a Sub-editor

Samyogita wants to be a sub-editor.

Post 1

Samyogita

Hi there!

I would very much like to be a sub-editor if that's become-able for beginners please! smiley - smiley Failing that, I'm happy with starting anywhere else on the site really. Don't really have much editing experience apart from the occassional school/ college magazine.

Samyogita smiley - teasmiley - cake


Samyogita wants to be a sub-editor.

Post 2

Malabarista - now with added pony

Hi Samyogita, and welcome to h2g2, or hootoo, as we call it. smiley - smiley

I see you've only just joined. An <./>ACE</.> will drop by your space soon to welcome you with some handy links and so on - this site can be confusing for beginners! You can ask your ACE about anything you need to know - or me; I'm a person, not an automated message, and I'm a sub-editor myself. I'm going to move house and start a new job on Saturday, so I can't promise an instant reply, but I'll try to get back to you within a day or two.

Now about sub-editing:

You should probably write a few Edited Guide Entries of your own before you become a sub-editor, so you can learn first hand how the process works and get acquianted with the Writing-Guidelines and the house style. That's the usual way round. Sometimes, the Editors will let new volunteers skip straight to subbing (after a brief test), but they're rather busy at the moment, since we have a site redesign in progress. (I am reliably informed that they're subscribed to this page again now, though, so they should see this when they get back to work again tomorrow. smiley - ok)

Why don't you have a look around PeerReview while you wait for an official answer from the Editors? You can comment on works in progress there (since those are the entries you'd later be subbing) and, of course, you can submit one of your own. It's not very busy in there at the moment, because of the usual summer lull, so any input would be greatly appreciated!

If you don't know what to write about, you can check the <./>FleaMarket</.> for abandoned entries to finish instead. That would be a good way to learn to work with what other people have written.

Good luck! And if you need any help, just leave a reply here and I'll be happy to answer any questions. smiley - magic


Samyogita wants to be a sub-editor.

Post 3

lil ~ Auntie Giggles with added login ~ returned


Hello and welcome to hootoo, Samyogita! smiley - biggrin

I have left you a message in your Personal Space, hopefully it will help you find you way around our site smiley - ok

In the meanwhile a fresh pair of eyes are always welcomed in PeerReview.

lil xx


Samyogita wants to be a sub-editor.

Post 4

The H2G2 Editors

Hello there Samyogita and a warm welcome to H2G2! We're delighted that you are keen to be a sub. As Malabarista says, it's probably best if you have a go at writing an Entry of your own first, submitting into Peer Review and getting it on to the h2g2 homepage. This way you will be able to familiarise yourself with the H2G2 editing process. And we can help you with that. If there are any questions, please do ask. And once again, welcome to H2G2! smiley - hugsmiley - ok


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more