A Conversation for Volunteer to be a Sub-editor

Kermit - 14540842 - wishes to be a Volunteer Sub-Ed

Post 1

kermit

Hello,

I haven't had any formal editing experience, but I am really eager to get some sub-editing experience under my belt. I am looking for a career in sub-ed and this would be a great opportunity to get thoroughly stuck in. What happens now?

regards,

Kermit


Kermit - 14540842 - wishes to be a Volunteer Sub-Ed

Post 2

Malabarista - now with added pony

Hi Kermit, and welcome to h2g2, or hootoo, as we call it. I apologise for the delay in getting back to you - with the start of tourist season, work has gotten ridiculously busy for me!

I see that an <./>ACE</.> has dropped by your space to welcome you with some handy links and so on - this site can be confusing for beginners! You can ask your ACE about anything you need to know - or me; I'm a person, not an automated message, and I'm a sub-editor myself. I've just started a new job and can't devote as much time to this site as I'd like, but I'll try to get back to you within a day or two.

Now about sub-editing:

You should probably write a few Edited Guide Entries of your own before you become a sub-editor, so you can learn first hand how the process works and get acquianted with the Writing-Guidelines and the house style. That's the usual way round. Sometimes, the Editors will let new volunteers skip straight to subbing (after a brief test), but they're rather busy at the moment, since we have a site redesign in progress.

Why don't you have a look around<./> PeerReview</.> while you wait for an official answer from the Editors? You can comment on works in progress there (since those are the entries you'd later be subbing) and, of course, you can submit one of your own.

If you don't know what to write about, you can check the <./>FleaMarket</.> for abandoned entries to finish instead. That would be a good way to learn to work with what other people have written.

Good luck! And if you need any help, just leave a reply here and I'll be happy to answer any questions.


Kermit - 14540842 - wishes to be a Volunteer Sub-Ed

Post 3

The H2G2 Editors

Hi Kermit, and welcome to h2g2! And thank you again to Malabarista for your excellent response. Kermit, as Mal says, if you're still keen, let us know here. We look forward to hearing from you.

h2g2 Eds. smiley - ok


Kermit - 14540842 - wishes to be a Volunteer Sub-Ed

Post 4

kermit

Thank you Malabarista for your astute post! I could kiss you smiley - kiss

I got rather despondent waiting for a reply as the days went by. I started to fear that hootoo no longer needed sub-eds and that I just came too late. Thankfully I was wrong!smiley - biggrin

I will almost certainly try to write up abandoned entries in the FleaMarket to get more acquainted with the writing guide lines.

And yes h2g2 eds, I am still keen on becoming a volunteer Sub-ed.smiley - ok


Kermit


Kermit - 14540842 - wishes to be a Volunteer Sub-Ed

Post 5

Malabarista - now with added pony

Kiss me? So I'd turn into a frog? smiley - winkeye

Glad to hear you're keen - if you need any help, just say the word smiley - somersault


Kermit - 14540842 - wishes to be a Volunteer Sub-Ed

Post 6

The H2G2 Editors

Excellent stuff Kermit! Do let us know if you need any help or if you have any questions. Either the Eds in-house or someone else (probably much brainier) from the community will get back to you. Cheers smiley - ok


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more