A Conversation for How to Write Postings and Entries in Plain Text

STAR TREK

Post 1

LORD.VAMPIRE

IN A RECENT EPISODE OF ENTRPRISE THE BORG WERE IN IT BUT AS FAR AS I REMEMBRER HUMANS 1ST MEET THE BORG IN STAR TREK T.N.G WHEN "Q" PUT THEM IN2 THE DELTA QUADRENT CAN SUM1 TELL ME IF AM RIGHT TA


STAR TREK

Post 2

Tango

Hi, welcome to h2g2!

First of all, please don't type in block capitals, it is hard to read, and looks like you are shouting.

Secondly, you should try posting in places relevent to your post. This is a forum about how to write entries in plain text, nothing to do with star trek. When in doubt use <./>askh2g2</.> or you could <./>search</.> for "star trek".

Thirdly, Enterprise doesn't fit with the timeline because nothing really happened in those days, according to the other star trek shows, so they have to change everything to make it interesting. Ratings come before continuity.

Tango


STAR TREK

Post 3

roparom

the reason the borg appeared was apparently just to get hard-core fans interested in enterprise. the "real reason" according to the trek timeline is that the next generation crew did make first contact with the borg. first contact involves an intorduction. the enterprise (nx-01) crew did not therefore have a first contact with the borg in "regeneration" (the episode in question). they did however get attacked by a race of cybernetic organisms that had no name from there perspective.

another explanation as to their previous unmentioned status through the next generation is that according to brannon and braga, everything in enterprise takes place after the next generation crew changed the past after the borg tried to destroy the human race. and so the whole star trek time line was modified and the crew of the enterprise nx-01 are living a slightly altered timeline to the original nx-01 (unmentioned) which existed before "q who" - next gen episde the borg were introduced in.

that explanaion was horribly complex and badly written but i hope it helps a little


STAR TREK

Post 4

elrond_boromir

Captain Archer doesn't exactly know what he was dealing with, and as of yet the Federation doesn't exxist and therefore he doesn't really need to tell Admiral Forest what he found. + He's not sure what they were how they're dealt with and I'm sure no one would remember what they look like in the 24th century... almost 300 years later. I was as doubtful as you when I watched this episode, but I read into it in the Star Trek magazine. Someone else had the same concerns and that was the answer they were given.
~~~Hope it helped!smiley - ok


STAR TREK

Post 5

Traveller in Time Reporting Bugs -o-o- Broken the chain of Pliny -o-o- Hired

Acronymous Borg scanning this thread for new drones to be albatrossimilated. His low voice thundering down the thread
"The complete series of 'Enterprise' is full of anachronisms.
I get the impression the whole archive of 'Star Trek Classic' has not been archived yet.
Neither have they documented any of the logs of this enerprise for any of the future generations."


STAR TREK

Post 6

HazzaTL

Maybe in a future episode all the Enterprise logs get destroyed, and hence are lost forever?

Maybe it's as was mentioned aboveit's an alternate timeline?

Maybe Paramount just messed up, and are not bothered about consistency, they just want ratings.


STAR TREK

Post 7

Traveller in Time Reporting Bugs -o-o- Broken the chain of Pliny -o-o- Hired

Traveller in Time smiley - tit on his head
"I am afraid it is just the ratings.

An alternative universe would make a way out but also contradicts to the general plot."


STAR TREK

Post 8

HazzaTL

So basically Paramount "F&$!ed" up.


STAR TREK

Post 9

Traveller in Time Reporting Bugs -o-o- Broken the chain of Pliny -o-o- Hired

Traveller in Time smiley - tit tuning his to radio 4?_
"Something completely different, but perhaps also with the same inconsistencies < <./>/radio4/hitchhikers/</.> >
The radio 4?_ episode 2 is about to be launched!"


STAR TREK

Post 10

Squirrel

Can anyone comment on why we would expect consistency?

Have I got it all wrong.. we are talking about centuries passing here..?

IF (and it is a big if) Concorde flew back in time to say, the 16th centuary; what would the few observers who's brains allowed them to see it, record it as?

Maybe Leonardo had access to a wormhole of some kind, hence his hurried and confused sketches of things which were not due to be invented for hundreds of years?

I think a big part of h2g2 is all about reality being stranger than fiction... and fiction making a lot more sense than life...

But what do I know smiley - smiley I'm new here - hence my looking through these postings...


STAR TREK

Post 11

pheloxi | is it time to wear a hat? |

you should remember:
star trek enterprise is during "the temporal cold war". times lines can disapear and know in later series.


STAR TREK

Post 12

Squirrel

They do try in Star Trek though don't they... To correct their inconsistancy I mean...

Maybe they try too hard?

Having invented a credible theory of operation for their "transporters", they then had to jam in a bit of dialogue, in a later series, about the "heisenburg compensator circuit"...

I'm not a Trek obsessed individual, so I can't quote episode names and numbers to support my case.

But I can see the problem that Heisenburg's uncertainty principle must have presented to the writers!

It made me smile when I watched that! Up until which time it had never occured to my mind that the transporters were remotly possible!

Well you know what they say about an infinate universe tho...


STAR TREK

Post 13

Phifty

Yup Paramount f-ed up repeatedly, I've heard that Enterprise is going off the air and stopped watching after the first 1 and a half seasons. The writing simply isn't up to par and screwing up the established trek storyline ain't gonna help either... I still wish they did the Romulan War.

damn episode writers....

*goes off to watch Stargate SG-1*


STAR TREK

Post 14

whitbyoz

time travel dont egsisit NOT AS WE EXPERENCE IT
{ITS LINEAR}


STAR TREK

Post 15

whitbyoz

PROBLY A GOD CHOICE


STAR TREK

Post 16

whitbyoz

sorry been away for an short timesmiley - erm


Key: Complain about this post