The Wild West

1 Conversation

Two men in cowboy hats face each other across a dusty street. They squint in the hot sun, each waiting for the other to move first. Hands twitch, edging closer to holstered six-shooters. Finally, in a blur of motion, both men draw and fire at almost exactly the same instant. Almost. One man falls, while the other holsters his weapon in some suitably extravagant manner, perhaps spinning the gun by its trigger guard or blowing smoke from the end of the barrel.

When one hears the phrase "wild west," this scene or a similar one probably springs to mind. Of course, this notion of the shootout at high noon is utterly false, and deep down, those who romanticize the American west of the late 1800s know that. There are, in reality, three things which define the "wild west," and these things are:

A vast and readily available supply of firearms;
Hopelessly inadequate law enforcement;
Cheap whiskey.

In short, the west was wild because everyone in it was drunk and had a gun.

The portion of America that most people define as the "old west," roughly the area between the Mississippi river and the Rocky Mountains, is for the most part a dreary, inhospitable place. The inconsistent winters arrive without any warning and rarely last long enough to offer any relief from the dry, hot haze that is spring, summer and autumn. When the first American explorers surveyed the area, the labeled it "the Great American Desert" on their maps and declared the whole place unlivable. The Indians and buffalo were welcome to it.

That is, until some idiot coined the phrase "there's gold in them thar hills!" Before it was discovered that there were spotty supplies of gold and silver scattered throughout the region, no one other than a handful of stubborn farmers and sadistic buffalo hunters wanted anything to do with the place. But the promise of easy money lured thousands of would be miners and millions of gamblers, prostitutes, con artists and others who figured they could make more money from the mining boom than those who actually did the mining. And not only were they were right, but they established the principle that modern America is based on.

So, into this environment that had been judged inhospitable before anyone knew about the gold came millions of barely educated people, armed to the teeth and with nothing more rewarding to do with their free time than drink themselves into an incomprehensible stupor and let the heat burn away their last remnants of temper and self-control. This is probably a more accurate description of the average "wild west" gunfight:

The unrelenting sun beat down on the dry, dust-filled street as two men drunkenly staggered from the saloon. One held a rusty pistol in his outstretched hand, while the other clutched his bleeding ear and struggled to remove his own gun from its holster. The first man fired his gun repeatedly. Most of the shots went wide, but one bullet managed to hit its target, who collapsed bleeding in the dust. The winner's victory was short-lived, however, as he was soon clubbed down from behind by the local sherriff...

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A394607

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more