A Conversation for Great British Beer Festival

Meeting Point

Post 1

Phil

How about by the Queen Mother Celebration Bar (republicans need not apply smiley - winkeye) That means there'll be beer for all and a choice of different ones as well.


Meeting Point

Post 2

Pastey

Now, your stereotypical attendee at this event falls into one of three catagories.
1) Trade.
These are the guys who work in pubs and breweries and are there to make money. The trade night itself is earlier in the week, but some hang around all week. These guys, and gals, usually also hang around by their own beers so that they can ear wig on what people are saying about them.
2) Beer Tickers.
Err... How can you describe these people. Train Spotters with better taste? Perhaps. These guys, usually guys, travel around the country, almost always by train, looking to try as many different beers as they can. It's a hobby of sorts and isn't said to make you go blind or give you hairy palms, although there is a connection. These guys usually group at tables around the edge of festivals. SO no hassle about them hogging the bar.
3) Drinkers.
That's us. Or me at least. The main bulk of the festival goers. Usually a Camra member and usually recommending and discussing beers with their companions whilst leaning on the bar. After all, you don't want to have to walk all that way back up to it when your glass is empty do you? These are what cloggs the bar up. The trick though is to have big feet, sharp elbows and stand well over six foot tall. Being able to correct the bar staff on the pronunciation of some of the beers, where the odder ones are from and general beer related knowledge, usually gets people to step aside, after all, here stands a serious drinker.
smiley - smiley

So, as for a meeting point, just pick a brewery you like that is going to be there, or you could suggest one of the quiter bars, like the imported beers or cidersmiley - smiley Oh, the cider bars at festival usually attract all the young ladies.

smiley - fish


Meeting Point

Post 3

Demon Drawer

So not much use to me then. smiley - winkeye

*DD frantically searches through his paperwork looking for his CAMRA membership*


Meeting Point

Post 4

Phil

Not much use to Pastey either now he's a married man smiley - winkeye


Meeting Point

Post 5

Pastey

Darn, I'd already forgotten about that!smiley - winkeye

smiley - fish


Meeting Point

Post 6

Demon Drawer

*DD ducks in case Mrs. Pastey decides to hurl any of the new Kitchenware this direstion* smiley - winkeye


Meeting Point

Post 7

Pastey

And that new kitchen ware happens to be cast iron pans! Ouch!smiley - smiley

smiley - fish


Meeting Point

Post 8

Demon Drawer

NOTE TO SELF

must be some way to get all this free stuff for the house I'm looking to buy. smiley - winkeye


Meeting Point

Post 9

Phil

You could try getting married smiley - winkeye


Meeting Point

Post 10

Demon Drawer

B/f might object Phil.


Meeting Point

Post 11

Munchkin

Hence Phil's suggestion of the Queen Mum bar. This has the advantage that, I can get absolutely guttered and still order; "Er I'll... um... yeh... Queen... er... Oh aye, Queen Mum ta." smiley - smiley


Meeting Point

Post 12

Pastey

Is there really a Queen Mum bar??

smiley - fish


Meeting Point

Post 13

Phil

Yes. Sponsored by Youngs. All set up to celebrate the fact that she'll be getting a telemessage from her daughter on the 4th Aug.
According to the web page brewers who will have a special for the bar include; Youngs, Archers, Cains, Elgood's, Everards, Fuller's, Gale's, Hardys & Hansons, Highgate, Hop Back, Inveralmond, McMullens, Moorhouse, RCH, Rebellion, Ridley's, Ringwood, St. Austell.


Meeting Point

Post 14

Demon Drawer

*drowls*


Meeting Point

Post 15

Munchkin

A ha! They have put up a map of the bars, which I have have now liked to on the page. The Queen Mum bar is in the main hall, between the North of England and Badger et al brewery bars.


Meeting Point

Post 16

Drool Frood the Second

I'm not sure if I can make the Saturday,but I'll see what I can do.
Who's going? I don't want to be the only real ale female there.
(And no I don't smoke a pipe and wear a waxed jacket!!!!!)


Meeting Point

Post 17

Phil

There will be lots of people there, don't worry.
I'm going and will be bringing a friend along - I checked and he said he's still coming down for that weekend.


Meeting Point

Post 18

Munchkin

I also have arranged a couple of spare bar props, and one is female, so you most definately will not be the only one.

Muchkin, ever ready for the call to action... Oh no wait that was Dangermouse. Munchkin ever ready for the call to beer.


Meeting Point

Post 19

Phil

And so you know how I'll be recognised, I won't be wearing a red carnation and carrying a done copy of the Guardian crossword, but I'll be wearing one of those natty T-shirts that are now being sold.


Meeting Point

Post 20

Munchkin

Show off!!


(I feel like I have started some cult, what with all these Fancy going to a Beer Festival names smiley - bigeyes )


Key: Complain about this post