A Conversation for h2g2 Feedback - Feature Suggestions

Knock function

Post 21

Two Bit Trigger Pumping Moron

I think the Knock function is a great idea. I've seen a couple articles where I'd like to correspond with the authors, but they don't seem to have been around foor a while.

I think it'd also be handy for people who you'd like to contact, but you don't want to leave a public message for.

I think a good format would have a Knock button on a researcher's main page. The button would open a from that would allow you to enter Your Space number, your e-mail address, and a brief message. In the preference area there would be switch to disable the knock button.


Knock function

Post 22

Cefpret

Thank you very much! Finally someone who understands what I originally wanted. There's nothing complicated about it.

Of course, h2g2 knows your number and your email address, so all you had to do is to enter the text.

All these SMS and related things can be added later, when people would make excessive use of it. (And actually they tackle a wholly different problem.) But this plain and simple knock button would be a benefit now.


Knock function

Post 23

Lisa the Freak // Poet by the Toga

Just to be pedantic, I'd like to say that I would get slightly annoyed if I checked my mail one day and ended up with 20 emails saying "where are you?"

Yes, I know I would be able to turn off the option if I didn't want it, but it might get abused if I wanted to turn it on

It could be limited to a certain number of emails a day or something.


Knock function

Post 24

Two Bit Trigger Pumping Moron

I really doubt this would be absued. If it was, it wouldn't be hard to stop it. There might be a line on the bottom of the e-mails that has a link to the preferences list.

I've thought about the idea a little more. Rather than having a form where you enter your e-mail and Researcher name & number, it should be automiatically entered so that the e-mail can be traced to its source.


Knock function

Post 25

Anonymouse

20?!? I'd think any more than -one- would be abuse. smiley - erm As to this form thing.. This has far too much poetential for abuse.. and yes, if you build it, they will abuse it. smiley - erm

'Nonniesmiley - rose


Knock function

Post 26

Cefpret

I don't see the potential for abuse. Have a look at the very first posting of this thread. Then add the possibility of setting a minimum time gap between two emails sent to you -- also already proposed above.

The 'knocker' can't specify the contents of the email, no address is given to them, they can't disclosure their identity; the receiver can make such events as unfrequent as they wish or switch it off completely.


Knock function

Post 27

The Frood (Stop Torture: A455528)

I like the ICQ idea... but how about a little tick or message on the top of the page, where all the bottons are located (or in Goo, at the left). It could say: You have a new message. Or a pop-up, I don't mind pop-ups. Or is this not into the spirit of the thing?


Knock function

Post 28

Anonymouse

My guess is it's probably a moot point. smiley - erm

'Nonniesmiley - rose


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more