Irish Potato Bread - A Recipe Content from the guide to life, the universe and everything

Irish Potato Bread - A Recipe

2 Conversations

If you ask an Irish person living abroad what food they miss most from back home, potato bread will probably be one of the top answers. A thin unleavened bread1, it is a delicious addition to a fried breakfast, or simply toasted and slathered in butter. Being a lot denser than many types of bread it is particularly suited to frying, as it doesn't tend to soak up oil or fat the way a common sliced loaf might. It's also known as fadge or potato cakes, although a lot more like bread in form and served in much the same way as bread.

The good news is there's really no reason for the expat to miss out on it, or for the newcomer not to give it a whirl, as it is so simple to make.

Ingredients

  • 450g (1lb) potatoes
  • 30g (1oz) butter
  • 1 level tsp salt
  • 100g (3.5oz) plain flour

Method

  1. Peel the potatoes, cut them into small pieces, and put them in a pan of boiling water. After about twenty minutes, or as soon as they are soft, drain them and mash them up so no big lumps remain.

  2. While still warm2, mix in the butter and salt.

  3. Start working the flour in. You may not need it all, depending on the texture of the potatoes. Just add enough to make a good, stiff dough.

  4. Roll the dough out to form a circle about 1cm thick, and cut into triangular quarters.

  5. Cook on a hot, dry frying pan3 which has been sprinkled with flour to prevent sticking. No oil or fat is needed; the purpose is just to cook the dough, not to fry it.

  6. Turn the bread occasionally; it is ready when both sides are golden brown.

Serving Suggestions

Fry the bread for breakfast along with bacon, sausage and egg, or toast and butter it for a quick snack with a mug of tea.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/foodA707906
1Although there is a type of sliced white loaf referred to as potato bread, it should not be confused with this variety.2Mixing will be easier if the potatoes are still warm. It isn't vital, however, and leftover mashed potatoes which have gone cold can be used too.3In days gone by, a griddle over the fire in the hearth was the norm.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Edited Entry

A3870380

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry

Categorised In:


Written by

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more