A Conversation for Roses are Red, Violets are Blue

Peer Review: A377228 - Roses are Red, Violets are Blue

Post 1

Gavroche

Entry: Roses are Red, Violets are Blue - A377228
Author: Gavroche - U55761

The origin of the cliche:

Roses are Red, Violets are Blue

It's not definite, but there is good basis to believe it was the invention of Victor Hugo, perhaps with some inspiration from Edmund Spenser


A377228 - Roses are Red, Violets are Blue

Post 2

Martin Harper

You don't mention the "classic" Aqua song of the same title... smiley - smiley

Good entry smiley - ok
-Lucinda


A377228 - Roses are Red, Violets are Blue

Post 3

the Shee

The only thing I can think of to comment on is your spelling of Spenser's "Faerie Queen" -- it should be "Queene", with the extra "e".

Oops -- also, from the Subeditor's Style page (http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/Subeditors-Style):

>>Italicize names of films, TV shows, plays, books, newspapers, magazines, titles of albums, poems of book length, scientific names (such as Homo sapiens and foreign phrases (but not the ones that have been around for ages and are almost in constant use - café is a good example of this). Also, interestingly, names of ships should be written in italics.

So you should probably change your underlines to italics. Is "The Faerie Queene" book-length? I don't know -- I've somehow luckily avoided reading the entire thing. If it isn't, it should be in single quotation marks (I'm American; I use double because that's just how I type smiley - winkeye).


A377228 - Roses are Red, Violets are Blue

Post 4

Ashley


Thisis a great entry - continuing your literary themes smiley - smiley


Congratulations - Your Entry has been Picked for the Edited Guide!

Post 5

h2g2 auto-messages

Your Guide Entry has just been picked from Peer Review by one of our Scouts, and is now heading off into the Editorial Process, which ends with publication in the Edited Guide. We've therefore moved this Review Conversation out of Peer Review and to the entry itself.

If you'd like to know what happens now, check out the page on 'What Happens after your Entry has been Recommended?' at EditedGuide-Process. We hope this explains everything.

Thanks for contributing to the Edited Guide!


Congratulations - Your Entry has been Picked for the Edited Guide!

Post 6

Ashley


Sorry I accepted this instead of leaving it be!

Azara help!


Congratulations - Your Entry has been Picked for the Edited Guide!

Post 7

Ashley


Scrap that - I did mean to accept this smiley - smiley


Congratulations - Your Entry has been Picked for the Edited Guide!

Post 8

Gavroche

I'm so glad you did mean to do so....Thanks for all the compliments.

By the way....The Faerie Queene is definitely what one would call an 'Epic' poem. It's quite long. It deserves italics.


Congratulations - Your Entry has been Picked for the Edited Guide!

Post 9

the Shee

That what I'd guessed, but rather safe and asking, than sorry and stupid-looking. smiley - biggrin

Congrats! smiley - bubbly


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more