A Conversation for Talking Point: Zoos

Creature Comforts

Post 1

UberGek {Oo-behr Geek}

http://www.atomfilms.com/af/content/atom_221

I think this short claymation 'documentary' actually makes a good point. Some animals are probably easier adapted to living in such an environment. Some need space to run and hunt and migrate and so on.

My opinion would be that zoos, on the whole, are a positive thing. In some cases they can protect endangered animals and can be used to learn more about them so as too protect those in the wild. As a kid, zoos are often the first time you can come face to face with all sorts of amazing creatures you've only seen in picture books.

What I would suggest to improve the situation is strict inspections to make sure the animals are being well cared for. Thier living environment should be as close to thier natural habitat as possible. This may mean that smaller towns could not afford to keep all sorts of exotic animals. That would have to be left to large citys with more funds to devote to thier zoo. Perhaps zoos could be incorporated into local schools' and Universities' programs.

Basically, if they're done well, zoos can be wonderful places for all involved. If they're not done well, they can be h*ll for everyone.


Creature Comforts

Post 2

Teasswill

I agree with that. Not necessarily large cities though, but somewhere in the countryside may be better to provide the large areas needed by some animals. What I liked last time I visited Whipsnade (a long time ago) was having different animals, where appropriate, sharing enclosures.
The only problem with having natural habitats & spacious enclosures is that it often makes the creatures very difficult for visitors to see!


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more