A Diary Of Otherwhere
What Is This?
The concept is quite simple: creating a modern Book of Hours for alien worlds - not for prayer, but to show scenes from a day elsewhere - be it a regular working day or a high feast, armies marching up for battle or a farmer at work.
What do elves get up to at three in the morning? When do the Martians eat dinner? What's the highlight of a deep sea diver's day? Hopefully, we can at least try to answer these questions...
How Do I Get Involved?
First, sign up below. Then, get creative!
- We're looking for single scenes - snapshots of your world, rather than continuous stories.
- Pick your favourite medium - drawings, paintings, photographs, collages... Just make sure it's your own work.
- Please make the scene work without text - though you can add a caption of 80 words.
- Alternately, you can write a text of exactly 80 words - a shopping list, a poem, an advertisement - for your world. But don't let the creativity stop there - write it by hand, or in an appropriate font, put it on a good background, maybe add some little illustrations or illuminated letters... Make it good graphically as well as good content.
- To get through 80 worlds in a day, we'll need a scene every 18 minutes - or rather, every 4.5° of the timegiving planet's rotation. Please state which time you're portraying, and avoid doubles if possible!
- Where your scene is set is entirely up to you - as is the scale.
- Whether it's summer or winter, when sunrise and sunset are, and how many suns and moons there are is also your choice.
- Show us normal happenings in an exotic world - myth, fantasy, science fiction, or just unsual real life. Think of it as a silent, one-scene documentary.
- Is your world habitable? Is there intelligent life? What's the climate like? What do people - or animals, or robots, or microbes, or stars - get up to all day?