A Conversation for Slayerville

Xander

Post 1

Bud_White

While in the process of attempting a character biography of Xander, and reading Nite_Owl's comments on it, it got me thinking about Xander, and how I often think he gets unfairly portrayed in debates (but that's just my opinion).

I thought it ight be kinda interesting just to post some of my rambling thoughts on certain aspects of the character here once and for all - just so you guys know where I standsmiley - smiley. So here it is.

First off, I fundamentally disagree with the idea Xander automatically dislikes Buffy's boyfriends due to his jealousy. First we take Angel - and this is true here for the first season and a half - his jealousy, along with the after-effects ofhis having to stake Jesse, is key to his dislike of Angel here. But, from Innocence on, you have to throw in the fact Angel, when he lost his soul, did what he did, inclding killing Jenny Calendar, and it is this much more understandable, and much more forgiveable, reason that is just as inextricably linked with his dislike of Angel in s.3 (and it is also worth noting that his actions in Amends show a much more tolerant and compassionate attitude to Angel and Buffy's feelings for him). So to sum up so far - it is true he does automatically dislike Angel due to jealousy - in s.1 at least.

But it is after this, for me, that the idea falls apart. He has no problem at all with Riley. And as for Spike, he is surely perfectly justified in having a problem with Buffy having a relationship with Spike pre-soul (everyone does), and while he does act badly towards her when he found out, this is surely more to do with his dismay at having seen Anya, the woman he still loves, with Spike. He even later apologises to Buffy for the way he has been in s.6. And in s.7 - there is no evidence oif any probelm between him and Spike - he has no part in the actions of Wood and Giles in LMPTM, and indeed in one episode (I forget the name,sorry) when Anya is complaining about having Spike in the house after he has been killing again, Xander specifically stays out of it when Anya asks him for his thoughts, saying something like 'I'm just fixing the windows' (thus showing an effort to act more fairly to Spike, and to back Buffy's call on it).

Therefore, the idea Xander automativally dislikes Buffy's boyfrineds due to jealousy is, for me, an arguemnt premised purely on one boyfriend of which it is true, and which falls apart on a more thorough examination of all Buffy's boyfriends.

That's my main rant over withsmiley - smiley. Just a couple of other points - in my opinion, people often seem to ignore Xander's quite mature attitude in Amends, and what for me is his fairly temperate attitude to Spike in s.7.

Also, people seem to struggle to forgive Xander for his actions in Becoming Pt II, but, for me, not only is his hatred of Angel by now much more forgiveable (if not justified) due to the later's actions in the second half of s.2, but is also outweighed by the many good things Xander has done, and the many times he has come through for Buffy (including, of course, in Prophecy Girl, but also in Amends and The Freshman, as well as, I'm sure, many others I can't quite recall).

Anyhow, sorry if all that seemd a bit ranty, I didn't mean it to be, honestsmiley - smiley. It's just some of the most interesting debates I have had have been about Xander and in particular the points I have discussed above, and I often find myself on the back foot, and somewhat of a lone figure at times in defending Xander. I thought I'd bring it up again since it might be an interesting topic of discussion - or even if not, to finally put my thoughts down somwhere as the opening salvo rather than as a defensive retaliationsmiley - smiley.

Okay, better go and cool off a bit nowsmiley - smiley.


Xander

Post 2

semper_paratus

As many can tell just by looking at my HooToo name, Xander is possibly the best character in Buffy. There are many episodes that show Xander as being the real hero of the Buffy.

I'll shortly go through a number of episodes that proove this point, but in case you get bored and decide to wonder elsewheres, you can receive conclusive proof of his heroism, just watch 'Potential', his speech to Dawn at the very end, this is Xander at his absolute best. On the subject of speeches, check out 'Into The Woods', 'Grave' or 'Dirty Girls'.

He's saved all their lives more than once 'The Zeppo' and 'Grave', just a couple of episodes. Yes he had his bad side, especially in season 6, but that was the whole point of saeson 6, Joss intended from the start of that season to portray human weekness', Xander's would be what happened in 'Hells Bells', but by the end of the season, he shone above everyone else.

His distrust of Angel was as you said, he took the death of Jessy badly and after the death of Miss Calender, and Willow almost getting killed (Another great speech at Willow's bedside), imagine putting yourself in Xander's place, would you tell Buffy about the spell Willow was trying? (Referencing Becoming, part II)

He is the true heart of the Scooby's (See 'Primeval'). Hear endeth my proof of Xander's true heroism.

smiley - biggrin Xander


Xander

Post 3

Carlyle Ferris

His strength of character is best demonstated in Prophecy Girl which remains to this day my favourite episode. In spite of having been rejected by Buffy he is still the only one with the courage to go and rescue her.

C


Xander

Post 4

Bud_White

Couldn't agree more with both of you, in particular you, DrFerris - Prophecy Girl is alas only my second favourite episode, but still, Xander is truly remarkable in it. It pretty much sums up why he is such a great character - for all his faults and weaknesses, he's always there for his friends when it really matters. I think it is this episode that allows me to forgive Xander so much - I think he's earned thatsmiley - smiley.


Xander

Post 5

HonestIago

Firstly I've never thought Xander was jealous of Buffy's boyfriends, at least not after he clears the air in Prophecy Girl. He catches on to the fact that he feels lust for Buffy and that wouldn't go anywhere, whereas the amazing friendship he has with her has boundless potential. Xander is the protector of the Summers women, he is Buffy's 'White Knight' according to Angel, effectively Dawn's older brother and Joyce's 'comfatador' (Restless) and it's a job he takes very seriously. Look at his conduct in Into the Woods, he sees how self-destructive Buffy's behaviour with Riley is and makes sure she realises it, taking some nasty verbal punishment in the process.
I don't think Xander's conduct in "Hell's Bells" showed weakness, quite the opposite in fact, he knew it was too early for him to marry Anya and he told her so, taking the consequences (note how he returns to Sunnydale quickly to face the aftermath, whereas Anya stays away for longer) and all the pain. That took real strength and courage, and he sticks by his decision in Storyteller.
I suppose the best exposition of his strength comes in Potential, all the stuff he says to Dawn we know is also true of him. He stands in a group of truly talented people and he's just a normal bloke. To fight evil equipped as Buffy and Willow are is brave and noble. To do so without powers, and often without encouragement (The Zeppo) is amazing and heroic.
Of course he has his flaws, cheating on Cordy with Willow, his bitchiness in Prophecy Girl and - despite what he says at the time - proposing to Anya in The Gift, but he wouldn't be human without them


Xander

Post 6

Kat

I agree that in many ways Xander is a good man but this does not mean he is without his faults and to say that they don't exist because the undoubted good that he does and the good traits he has is just plain denial. Most (in fact all) characters have their good and bad days, the times when they are glorious and they are so very not. Yes we all want to defend our favourite characters but as Willow said "a vague disclaimer is no one's friend". Surprise, surprise I am going to shock Bud and everyone else from Talk Buffy - not smiley - winkeye but going Hal 2000 on him.

Point of the first - Xander is unpleasant to Angel BEFORE he turns into Angelius, ergo without any justification to hate him apart from preduices (which I think do have something to do with poor Jessie being vamped and Giles's explaination about what this would mean for Jessie's personalities). You only have to remember Xander's bitter retort to Buffy's "let's just be mates" answer to him asking her out which is something along the lines "yeah a guy's gotta to be undead to interest you". His frankly extremely nasty comments to Angel about seeing him as a monster come right on top of this and also Xander introduces Angel in "Lie to Me" by saying "he's our friend except I don't like him" again pre-Angelius.

Point of the second - Xander is equally unpleasant to Spike early in s.7 - that is to the ENSOULED vamp. Ok yes - someone very very nasty was done to his mate but even so isn't it HER decision as if she forgives that or not. Is it the victim's right and no one else to forgive or not as the case may be?. As she points out in "Beneath You" is not like she can't take of her herself or actually needs protecting from him. (I think Xander like Riley can make the mistake of over-protecting Buffy - not a unsymphathetic trait but one that's annoying at times). Ok I'm biased too but I think putting the boot into someone who is so obviously down already is not a nice character trait no matter what they've done.

Point of the third - Xander handled the whole engagment of Anya badly and he paid the price by losing her. Yes, we know he didn't mean to but he owed her either the commitment or the honesty of facing up to the fact he couldn't marry her before he in effect jilted her at the altar. I don't hate him for it and feel a lot of symphathy for him over it but I think to say it isn't a fault is wrong. I also think she overacted and could have been kinder and more understanding and accepted his apologies and offers to renew the relationship in "Entrophy" so it's not all entirely his fault.


Xander

Post 7

Bud_White

I never denied Xander has faults. I do however think his faults are singularly emphasised in discussions in a way that does not happen with other characters, which I can only conclude mean he is an unpopular character.

Secondly, I never denied his s.1/early s.2 attitudes towards Angel were coloured partly, if not mainly, by jealousy.

Thirdly, I don't think he is especially harsh towards Spike in s.7 - he clearly does not like the guy, but he's allowed not to like people. Once aware he has a soul, he never acts upon his prejudice, and does not even seek to influence Buffy on the matter - the only exception when she comes to him in Sleeper, and he is right in this matter, and does at least attempt impartiality.

Just to finish off, I would never seek to deny Xander has his faults - and his actions towrards Anya are examples of this. I would not seek to exonerate his for this. But it is just the case in my experience that there often seems significant ill-feeling towards the character in discussions (to call it bitterness would not seem gross exaggeration, I would venture to suggest), and these flaws often get over-played, and as a result, his great qualities and strengths maginalised.

Just a few thoughts, hope I wasn't rantingsmiley - smiley.


Xander

Post 8

Carlyle Ferris

Sorry to flatten Xander back on to the page, but I think this thread shows what a well rounded piece of writing the character of Xander became. Everyone tends to run along the average line dipping into bad and occasionally rising to the heights, it is rare to have a totally bad or totally good person. Xander personifies the human condition. He is occasionally capable of moments of great courage, as when he stood up to Angelus in the Hospital and in the Zeppo; but he also plumbs the depths of the human condition as when he fails to tell Buffy of Willows message in Becoming2 and when he walks out on Anya. It is difficult to have a discussion about Superman...He's good. The End, but a character like Xander has depth.


Xander

Post 9

Bud_White

You're right, of course, DrFerris. I doubt anyone wishes to argue Xander is at either extreme. I guess I only started this thread because Xander is something of a favourite character of mine, which, I am happy to acknowledge, hardly makes me the most objective here (though I'm not sure if objectivity is even possible in this context).


Xander

Post 10

Kat

I absolutely agree with Dr Ferris about the roundness of the character but I feel this is true of all characters, certainly all the ones of appearing in the opening titles. Even Willow who everyone (including me)adores is capable of acting irresponsibily and for many years had a negative opionion of Faith based at least partially on sexual jealously over Xander.

I don't argee with you Bud over Xander's actions over Spike - in "Him" when Buffy moves Spike in with Xander, he makes it very clear that as far as he's concerned Spike can rot - "I don't understand when his problems become yours or more specifically mine" and unsurprisingly when he and Buffy are arguing over Anya's fate in "Selfless" Xander brings Spike into the arguement basically saying "so why's he still alive then?". Both of these are obvious attempts to influence Buffy into leaving Spike to rot or to kill him. I argee some of it is influenced by concern over Buffy (as a friend I think they are beyond him converting her by this stage) and the turning point comes in "Never Leave Me" when ironically enough it is Xander who understands Spike is being triggered. At is at this point Xander seems to let go of his hatred. I can understand that Xander's hatred is understandable if not justified.

It's just Xander isn't one of my favourite characters although I understand how good and how special he is. I don't hate him but I suppose I can't get past how petty he is sometimes. I also disliked him in the early days for being insenstive to how much Willow wanted him. He ignored her to chase after Buffy when he could have had her but he then chases after her when she gets a boyfriend - not endearing behaviour.


Xander

Post 11

Bud_White

First off, his saying what he did about Spike in Selfless is more an attempt to influence Buffy's actions towards Anya than Spike. And is he not entitled to be slightly peeved at having to share his home with someone he strongly dislikes (and for all that, he still ultimately does it)?

I won't deny he can be petty, but criticism of his insensitivity to Willow in s.1 is surely harsh - it's not malicious, intentional or even conscious - the term 'oblivious' seem rather apt here. And it is surely rather over-stating the case to say he then 'chased' her when she had a boyfriend - he didn't go out of his way to be awkward at that point, it was just something that happened (and which they both felt, did and were at fault for).

Just some thoughts.


Xander

Post 12

Carlyle Ferris

Just as a slight off topic. Happy birthday to Nicolas Brendon who is 34 today, 12th April.


Xander

Post 13

semper_paratus

Happy Birthday to Nicholas.


Xander

Post 14

Kat

All true and I suppose I did overstep the mark but he is guilty of being insenstive towards Willow's feelings - for example asking her to the Spring Fling only after Buffy has rejected him. I don't hate Xander especially the later incarnations. We are all advocates for our favourite characters but at the end of the day they do all have their faults - and if people are guilty of laying into Xander too much I think some overlook his faults too much too. Someone's (a writer about the Buffyverse in a book) remarks about Xander being important to making any Buffy episode a good one annoy me - no one is all important to the making of a good Buffy episode - even some good episodes like "The Zeppo" have Buffy herself in the background.


Xander

Post 15

Kat

Happy Birthday to Nicholas Brendan too.

Final observation is of course that the good and bad in Xander both come from the same place which is of course his incredible heart and in the end the good outweighs the bad.


Xander

Post 16

Bud_White

I'll agree with that last comment, vampadvoacate, but I think we'll have to agree to disagree on much of the restsmiley - smiley.

Also, happy birthday to NB.


Xander

Post 17

Kat

That'll be unusual smiley - winkeye.


Key: Complain about this post