A Conversation for Tori Amos

Best pianist?

Post 1

Andyman

I have been a fan of Tori Amos since Little Earthquakes came out. She's probably my favorite musical artist. But, really, the best pianist you've ever heard? I suppose if you listened only to Tori Amos and the Spice Girls, she would be the best pianist you've ever heard. Come on, expand a little. Horowitz? Ashkenazy? Andre Watts? Heck, what about Harry Connick, Jr.?

Speaking of being a pianist, I was a little let down by Tori's most recent album, Scarlet's Walk. It seems like she has forgotten that she IS a pianist, and is slowly drifting into that homogenous boring mass called "Pop Music." Did you notice something missing from the album? Perhaps a piece with just her and the piano? I'm pretty sure every previous album had at least one piece that was just her at the piano.

I love Tori, and I love to hear her play and sing, but she is slowly losing her uniqueness. I'm all for growth, of course, but one must be careful. In the beginning, she was a pianist with a great voice and a knack at songwriting. She's turning into a singer/songwriter who can play the piano. We've got a lot of those now, and if she wants to stand out, she needs to remember what it is that sets her apart from the others: she can play them under the table.


Key: Complain about this post

Best pianist?

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more