A Conversation for The Station by Station Guide to the London Underground - Victoria Line

A3660365 - The Station by Station Guide to the London Underground - Victoria Line

Post 21

echomikeromeo

Erm, Alex, if this is a current Uni project, this entry oughtn't to be in PR now. Each entry gets subbed by the allocated sub-editor, and then when it's all done you stick *just the project page* in PR. See <./>University-What</.>.


A3660365 - The Station by Station Guide to the London Underground - Victoria Line

Post 22

AlexAshman


Erm - I remember seeing the 'Forgotten heroines' project or something like that, where all the entries had already been subbed and were just being put under one banner. I don't mean to be rude, but I doubt anyone on h2g2 could be ars*d to read about 260 or so stations then comment on the project as a whole. I'd rather feed the thing to the community bit by bit so that I actually get a response.


A3660365 - The Station by Station Guide to the London Underground - Victoria Line

Post 23

Paully

Hi Alex!

Can I just take this opportunity to say how excited the Eds all are about this project? It's something we've wanted to see in the Edited Guide for absolutely ages, and it's wonderful to see that it's very nearly ready to rock and roll!

Having had a quick word with the others, we're pretty much of the opinion that we don't really mind if this is a Uni Project or not - in fact, all we really care about is doing whatever we can to help you get as many of these entries finished as possible. So if getting this one accepted and published onto the Front Page will help to motivate you into working hard on the next one, then it'll find its way onto the Front Page quicker than you can say 'mind the gap'!

One suggestion though, which we think would make these articles an even more essential read... Do you think you might be able to include a short sentence or two on each station detailing the kind of locale the station covers? Something along the lines of:

Oxford Circus - The very heart of London's shopping district, Oxford Circus is located at the junction of Oxford Street and Regent Street, two of the busiest retail streets in the whole of the UK. Consequently, whether you're going to one of the many nearby bars, restaurants or theatres, you can usually be sure that your journey will be barred by a few thousand people clutching handfuls of carrier bags full of their latest purchases.


Brixton - Once best known for the inner-city riots during the early 1980s, Brixton has enjoyed a renaissance over recent years and now enjoys a vibrant and lively (if somewhat overwhelming and intimidating at times) personality. Visitors to the area can browse the market on Electric Avenue or enjoy a gig at one of London's premier venues, the Brixton Carling Academy.


How's that for starters? smiley - smiley

Paully


A3660365 - The Station by Station Guide to the London Underground - Victoria Line

Post 24

AlexAshman


smiley - oksmiley - cheers


A3660365 - The Station by Station Guide to the London Underground - Victoria Line

Post 25

AlexAshman


I've had a go at it, but I'm not entirely knowledgeable about London smiley - erm


A3660365 - The Station by Station Guide to the London Underground - Victoria Line

Post 26

Galaxy Babe - eclectic editor

smiley - smiley


A3660365 - The Station by Station Guide to the London Underground - Victoria Line

Post 27

GreyDesk

The locale bits read OK to me. The Victoria line is one of the ones where I have got on or off a train at just about every station.


A3660365 - The Station by Station Guide to the London Underground - Victoria Line

Post 28

Number Six

Hopefully I can add a bit to this.

About Walthamstow - originally it was planned that the line would take over the section of British Rail line between Walthamstow Hoe Street (as it was then) and Chingford, with the tunnels going overground between Walthamstow Hoe Street and Walthamstow Wood Street. But as the BR line had recently been electrified which had caused a lot of disruption to users of it, it was decided not to continue with the part of the project converting the line an underground line and terminate the Victoria Line at Walthamstow Hoe Street (re=named Central) instead.

NB - Walthamstow doesn't claim to have the largest street market in Europe I think, just the longest smiley - ok

Tottenham Hale - the most significant thing you need to say is that this is the major interchange for the rail shuttle to Stansted Airport. The Hale is the only usual stop between Stansted and Liverpool Street, for the very reason that it's an interchange with the Victoria Line. Seven Sisters deputises when engineering work means the trains are sent up the 'other' commuter line on the way to Stansted.

The Hale is also a reasonably major transport hub above ground - there's a usually well-stocked taxi rank (mainly in the hope of attracting custom from passengers recently landed at Stansted) and a decent-sized bus station. On top of that, there's one of the largest retail parks in that part of North London just over the road - various fast food restuarants, cut-price supermarkets, electrical and computer superstores, motor parts, DIY and home furnishing stores abound. (hope that's non-specific enough! really it's a Curry's, a Comet, a PC World, a KFC, a Burger King, a Blockbuster, a large B&Q, a Halfords and a Harveys)

I'll try and work my way down the list later on. smiley - ok

smiley - mod


A3660365 - The Station by Station Guide to the London Underground - Victoria Line

Post 29

Mina

I don't know most of these stations, but I do know Oxford Circus - only 5 minutes walk from BBC Broardcasting House, the home of radio. smiley - smiley

Also Oxford Street has a HUGE pickpocketing crime rate. It's one of the most popular shopping streets in the world, so it has the crime to match. It's really bad there, so you could add to the bit about people carrying carrier bags that they need to carry them *real* close and watch out for rucksacks. Pickpockets reach up and open them while they are being carried! Oxford Street has over 30 policemen all to itself.


A3660365 - The Station by Station Guide to the London Underground - Victoria Line

Post 30

Mina

"the home of radio"

perhaps that should be the home of BBC radio


A3660365 - The Station by Station Guide to the London Underground - Victoria Line

Post 31

AlexAshman


smiley - cheers Six smiley - ale
smiley - cheers Mina - a very good point smiley - thief


A3660365 - The Station by Station Guide to the London Underground - Victoria Line

Post 32

Number Six

smiley - cheers

This is starting to look very good. Could the last sentence before 'Walthamstow Central' use a 'to' inserted somewhere, do you think?

Blackhorse Road - maybe better to say it's on the corner of Blackhorse Road and Forest Road? It was the only free-standing station building purposely created for the Victoria Line. Unfortunately the architects came up with something that looks like a pile of abandoned shoeboxes, but you can't have everything. The British Rail station building on the other side of Blackhorse Road closed in 1981, and access to the Gospel Oak-Barking line railway platforms is through the LU ticket hall.

The area outside the station isn't particularly prepossessing - reservoirs and industrial estates to the west, and suburban streets to the east. Of slightly more interest is the Walthamstow Standard over the road, which is a well-established venue on the London live music scene. Many bands have cut their teeth on stage at the Standard on their way to fame and fortune, although these days it seems to prefer revivals and tribute bands to emerging young talent.

One final thing at Tottenham Hale that's well worth knowing - the lift from platform to ground level is at the north (Walthamstow) end of the platforms. Although it's signposted, not many people seem to know about it - but it's a huge relief if you're lugging heavy suitcases on your way to Stansted.

The area around Seven Sisters station at the bottom of Tottenham High Road comes under the heading of 'best avoided'...

About Green Park - can we stick in a sort of health warning to avoid changing trains there unless you really have to? Although it's technically an interchange station, it's miles along endless corridors from any of the three lines to any of the others and I've sworn to stop changing there if there's any possible way of avoiding it. Also maybe worth mentioning that Green Park station itself is on Piccadilly? Just diagonally opposite the Ritz Hotel.

Victoria - there is of course the shopping centre and food court on built on top of the station above the Gatwick and Brighton line platforms, although of course it's pretty dead outside shopping hours.

Vauxhall - like Tottenham Hale, Vauxhall acts as a multi-mode transport hub for the surrounding area. There's a modern and extensive bus station to the west of the tube/railway station. The Oval - home for Surrey County Cricket club and venue for England Test Matches (scene of the famous Ashes victory over Australia in 2005 smiley - biggrin) - is within easy walking distance, and is well-signposted from ground level, although naturally Oval station on the Northern Line is closer still.

Brixton - maybe better to say 'either platform' rather than 'any' as there are only two? And it can seem miles between the railway station and the tube when you're trying to walk it at, say, five o'clock on a Saturday morning when some bloke's following you while seemingly trying to weigh up whether to mug you or not. Fortunately I got out from the side street on to the main road where there were a couple of people about, and bolted into the tube station before anything happened.

Well, I hope all that helps.

smiley - cheers

smiley - mod


A3660365 - The Station by Station Guide to the London Underground - Victoria Line

Post 33

Number Six

Oh - a line for the Walthamstow Standard:
http://www.standardmusicvenue.co.uk/

PPS - very useful M&S Simply Food and Sainsbury's Central shops around Green Park station for those in search of a cheap picnic smiley - ok

smiley - cheers

smiley - mod


A3660365 - The Station by Station Guide to the London Underground - Victoria Line

Post 34

AlexAshman


smiley - cheerssmiley - cheerssmiley - cheers


A3660365 - The Station by Station Guide to the London Underground - Victoria Line

Post 35

Mina

Capital B capital H for Broadcasting House Please. smiley - biggrin And a link if you want it.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/broadcastinghouse/index.shtml


A3660365 - The Station by Station Guide to the London Underground - Victoria Line

Post 36

AlexAshman


smiley - ok


A3660365 - The Station by Station Guide to the London Underground - Victoria Line

Post 37

Number Six

Nice one smiley - cheers

Two (hopefully final) suggestions - a capital 'R' for the heading of Blackhorse Road, and that the Ritz is diagonally opposite Green Park station on the south side of Piccadilly, not the north. Although there are exits on the south side, the main entrance to the station is on the north side of Piccadilly. A bit confusing but I'm sure you'll make a good job of explaining it!

smiley - cheers

smiley - mod


A3660365 - The Station by Station Guide to the London Underground - Victoria Line

Post 38

AlexAshman


smiley - ok I've added that too smiley - cheers


Congratulations - Your Entry has been Picked for the Edited Guide!

Post 39

h2g2 auto-messages

Your Guide Entry has just been picked from Peer Review by one of our Scouts, and is now heading off into the Editorial Process, which ends with publication in the Edited Guide. We've therefore moved this Review Conversation out of Peer Review and to the entry itself.

If you'd like to know what happens now, check out the page on 'What Happens after your Entry has been Recommended?' at EditedGuide-Process. We hope this explains everything.

Thanks for contributing to the Edited Guide!


Congratulations - Your Entry has been Picked for the Edited Guide!

Post 40

AlexAshman


Woohoo! smiley - biggrin

smiley - run

.......

smiley - runsmiley - cakesmiley - chocsmiley - bubblysmiley - bubbly


Key: Complain about this post