A Conversation for What h2g2 Could Do

No Subject

Post 1

Gnomon - time to move on

>>It has been suggested that h2g2 find a way to selectively remove the tag from Edited Entries so that search engine robots can crawl over the pages and note all the links between Edited Entries, thus improving their search rankings. There are some concerns that this could slow down the site due to the number of links in each Edited Entry, but the pay-off from such a move could be huge.

Can you explain, please? Woodpigeon and I proposed putting "nofollow" in all the Edited Entries, so that the various links all around the entries (to Feedback, Peer Review etc) would not be followed. We reckoned that the Edited Entries would be indexed by being linked to in the Category pages, which are all searched by the Search engine.


No Subject

Post 2

AlexAshman


I honestly don't know enough about the matter, as I was summarising F8737899?thread=
I honestly don't know enough about the matter, as I was summarising F8737899 when I wrote my parts of this. I think the point is to allow robots to follow the interlinking between Edited Entries. I'm not sure how viable the idea is, but it would make a big difference to the site.


No Subject

Post 3

AlexAshman


F47996?thread=6089768 Nov 21, 2008 - single post by Skankyrich
F47996?thread=243893 Jan 31, 2003 - post by Whisky, response from Jim Lynn


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more