A Conversation for h2g2 Law of Continuity

Law of Continuity Discussion

Post 21

Phil

Not something that has been seen for some time I must say. Has this person been told that it isn't a very nice thing to do and that it's very rude to interupt like that? I saw Courtesy's reply very good and in keeping with the particular thread I thought smiley - smiley


Law of Continuity Discussion

Post 22

Asteroid Lil - Offstage Presence

I thought so too. But if TIIMELORD is truly spamming, then he won't ever be back to see it.

Redbeard, I have a suggestion. I think we should discuss this all exhaustively, then have you write a new entry incorporating the consensus of opinion. Perhaps under a more general title like Threadiquette, so that we can incorporate thoughts on spamming.

Where IS the official bulletin board? TIMELORD, I think what he's doing expresses a kind of impatience with the speed of post-and-response. Time dilation occurs on h2g2, such that simple interactions, even in adventures, stretch across hours or days. TL doesn't want to wait. He wants the immediacy of ICQ.

Well, if I can mix a metaphor, I see I'm hanging him for a scapegoat. I'm sure he has a positive attitude and likes being part of the site.


Law of Continuity Discussion

Post 23

Asteroid Lil - Offstage Presence

I forgot to add my reason for suggesting not a rewrite but a new write: simply so as to divorce the finished product from this discussion in which we've been naming names and such.


Law of Continuity Discussion

Post 24

Phil

That's probably a good idea.


Law of Continuity Discussion

Post 25

Redbeard (Thanks to all who supported The Celery!))

Lil,

I have no problem with doing a 'new write'... (because of naming names and so forth), but I'm not sure about expanding this particular entry to include other threadiquette issues.

-- I do believe that spamming is a separate threadiquette issue from continuity, even though it can affect continuity

-- If the page becomes a page on 'threadiquette', then the law of continuity becomes one item in what is covered, in which case the amount I have on continuity is too much. But I really like the entry and would hate to lose a lot of it.

-- If we bog the entry down with a lot of other threadiquette issues, it could be contentious for years and not really accomplish anything. We need the Law of Continuity to be available, so I would prefer to get that out and about to places like the Aces page, or maybe featured on the front (mmmm, maybe I could write a cgi script to automatically post it to every forum on h2g2? smiley - winkeye)

-- Issues such as spamming are going to probably have to be pondered seriously by The Powers That Be, so for dealing with that, it might be better to put in a request to them to address it in some way. Keep in mind the current OFFICIAL position... as detailed in the h2g2 don't panic page:

"6.11 I want to publicise a Forum so that other people join in. How can I do that?
There are two ways. The best way is to visit other Forums yourself and mention that you've got a really interesting Forum happening on your Home Page (which can easily be found by other Researchers if they simply click on your name at the top of the posting). You'll find that fellow Researchers are always hungry for good Conversations, so let them know...."
Based on this wording, the individual in question (I'll let YOU name names smiley - smiley), may feel they were simply doing exactly what h2g2 told them to do.

-- Finally, Continuity Police Department sounds friendlier than Threadiquette Police. smiley - smiley


Law of Continuity Discussion

Post 26

Asteroid Lil - Offstage Presence

Redbeard, I accept all your points.
To all:
We do not have the power to sanction, only to request people to refrain from disrupting continuity. So while "Continuity Police" is delicious, it is bound to irritate the anarchists. smiley - winkeye As is my yearning to be a judge.

So something is needed to suggest polity. How it's worked up to now is that those who know me have paid the compliment of asking my advice. This deonstrate that people do care about the integrity of their threads ad the atmosphere they are trying to build.

We might like to offer a more Solomonic service, and it certainly shouldn't be just me making the decision. I think that we ought to try rather for the Swiss Canton model. Let the issue be raised as a thread, or appended to a thread, and let the participants decide whether the matter is a breach or not, and also select a researcher to visit the offender.

As for Don't Panic 6.11 ... you're right there, too. But somehow, I feel that they didn't mean for TL to walk across a Zen Garden and interrupt virtual meditation. I think I will go back and have another look at all that; I haven't re-read it since the day I joined.

Eventually I'd like to get Peta's take on this, but not till the dust is settled on the server transfer.


Law of Continuity Discussion

Post 27

Redbeard (Thanks to all who supported The Celery!))

In a small cave, partially hidden in the mists on the side of a mountain, sits Lil, Guru of Continuity. She, along with her acolytes, attune themselves to the delicate threads that create this reality, alert to disturbances in the continuum. When major ripples are discovered, they send words of healing to sooth the continuity and prevent future disturbances.

Pilgrims searching for answers to Continuity questions are welcomed up the steep path, where they may find enlightenment.


Law of Continuity Discussion

Post 28

Asteroid Lil - Offstage Presence

*tries to look profound but is in imminent danger of failing*


Law of Continuity Discussion

Post 29

Redbeard (Thanks to all who supported The Celery!))

I think the guru approach solves the problem, Lil. It has a different feel than a police force -- a guru is more like an advisor -- and it fits in with the sense of the communities here (I decided against another church!) And we could have two main threads going:

'Report Disturbances in the Continuum'
'Climb the Steep Path to Enlightenment'

...I do think we should encourage pilgrims to address you as 'Master' at least the first time they approach..

I think the cave in the mountain is a good location for a guru. (even if you ARE afraid of heights) Is there a mountain around here already? We could always go with the Quentulus Quazgar Mountains (from "So Long and Thanks for all the Fish" where God's Final Message to his Creation was found). We could also open a tourist's shop... I mean, a Pilgrim's Way-Station... , along the way where we could sell lemonade and cheap ceramic guru-type knick-knacks.


Law of Continuity Discussion

Post 30

Asteroid Lil - Offstage Presence

Tomorrow I'm going to scan and put up a particular Kliban cartoon just for what you've written.

There is Mt. Sandeverest. Recently a magnificent new forest sprang up on one of its slopes, which I named Moxon Wood.

I think I would like to be a sage, rather than a guru. Something more Confucian, since mores at court is what I evidently specialise in. And I will consent to be addressed as Venerable One. In which case, rather than climbing the steep path to enlightenent, the Superior Man examines his own conduct and polishes his soul.


Law of Continuity Discussion

Post 31

Phil

Have to remember that one when I come to write a book review tommorow lunchtime smiley - winkeye


Law of Continuity Discussion

Post 32

Lonnytunes - Winter Is Here

As an example of what Sporky was talking about above, at Greebos I have organised a hangi but alas the teenagers in attendance got impatient and have sent out for pizza.


Law of Continuity Discussion

Post 33

Asteroid Lil - Offstage Presence

Being teenagers, they're bound to be hungry again when the hangi is ready.


Law of Continuity Discussion

Post 34

Lonnytunes - Winter Is Here

Very true


Law of Continuity Discussion

Post 35

Redbeard (Thanks to all who supported The Celery!))

OK, Lil.... how's this?

Hidden in the mists of Moxon Wood, on the side of Mount Sandeverest, lies the pagoda of Asteroid Lil, the Sage of Continuity. She, along with her disciples, attune themselves to the delicate threads that create this reality, alert to disturbances in the continuum. When major ripples are discovered, they send words of virtue to sooth the continuity and prevent future disturbances.

If you are the recipient of these words, remember two things:
1. The words come from the Five Constant Virtues, which are benevolence, righteousness, propriety, wisdom, and sincerity.
2. The Superior Man examines his own conduct and polishes his soul.

Scholars wishing to learn from the sage, or to clarify difficult issues of continuity, may approach the pagoda with their questions. When first speaking, one should address the Sage as 'Venerable One'. Even if the pagoda seems empty, be assured that all questions are heard, and you will receive a response from the Sage or one of her disciples when the time is proper.


Law of Continuity Discussion

Post 36

Asteroid Lil - Offstage Presence

I'll buy it. Wrap it smiley - bigeyes

Seriously, although I'm wary of self-aggrandisement, this is just lovely. I only need to cast hexagrams and be a conduit for the correct movement of heaven and earth, not a source.


Law of Continuity Discussion

Post 37

Researcher 99947

Gor... I hadn't realised how hungry I was until Looney brought it up

*sporky, trying his hardest not to set into a topic drift


Law of Continuity Discussion

Post 38

Asteroid Lil - Offstage Presence

It would be nice if you joined him. Looney, have you a URL?


Law of Continuity Discussion

Post 39

Redbeard (Thanks to all who supported The Celery!))

Revisions have now been made to this page. (added section on the Sage of Continuity and the graphic at the bottom)
Look OK?


Law of Continuity Discussion

Post 40

Lonnytunes - Winter Is Here

Sporky food is available at http://www.h2g2.com/forumframe.cgi?forum=29575&thread=55081

Redbeard the page is looking good. Even though I thoroughly agree with the statement "Superior Man" some more narrow-mindned people might suggest it is slightly sexist.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more