A Conversation for Gardeners' Guild

It must be spring...

Post 1

I'm not really here

Because I've been out in the garden!

After a furious fight to get the strimmer going, I managed to strim the front lawn for the second time this year. While doing that I realised that the triangular patch of ground under my kitchen window has cleared itself (ie all the weeds finally died). Hurrah! So a bit of clearing up dead leaves and I've got somewhere to put some plants. Periwinkle seems to do well in my north facing cold and shady front garden, so I've loaded up with that and will put it out this afternoon.

I've also spent a tenner on non-flowering chamomile plants to use in an experiment in that area to see if I can eventually replace the grass lawn. *Then* I did some research. Apparently it needs sandy soil rather than clay (oh poop - I live in Essex - must be the clay capital of the UK!) and it doesn't appreciate being used as a loo by dogs. Knickers.

I also bought some fence panels on impulse because they were ex-display and about 5% of their usual price, so now need to find some reduced fence posts! And my favourite thing, I something very similar to one of these - http://www.oak-barrel.com/oak_barrel_water_features/pump_with_bucket_feature.htm for a tenner!

If I can't replace the electic pump with some sort of solar power I will plant up the bucket and just keep it as a still pond. smiley - biggrin

Anyone else been out in the garden yet? I came in for lunch but I'm going back out again now to plant some of my goodies - at least one in a ready-made hole where the buddleia stump (we cut down the shrub about four years ago) finally rotted away enough that I could just pull it out of the ground. I'm pretty much a 'no-dig' type of gardener. smiley - biggrin


It must be spring...

Post 2

~:*-Venus-*:~

I was out in the garden for a short while on Tuesday to plant my tree. Then again for a couple of hours Thursday. It was great to get in the garden and see what is starting to grow. I'm hoping for another couple of hours before i return to work next week. smiley - smiley


It must be spring...

Post 3

Jemstone

Isn't it great! I've been out quite a bit over the past week and things are popping up all over the place at great speed. I've had 2 irises open up this morning, the most beatiful blue and yellow, and I'm sure new shoots are literally appearing every day.

So exciting!


It must be spring...

Post 4

I'm not really here

A house in a neighbouring street had crocuses all over their lawn a couple of weeks ago! None of mine have shown their face yet. I'm tempted to start clearing the borders ready, but am a bit worried we've not had the last frost yet.

My son mowed half the back lawn for me yesterday. We have a habit of leaving it until it has to be strimmed first, and I'm determined not to let that happen this year!


It must be spring...

Post 5

I'm not really here

I forgot to say I rescued some of my neighbour's path when she smashed it up recently to make some crazy paving stepping stones because it gets so muddy in the winter, and I can't avoid walking on the grass because of the dogs. Now I just need to dig out some turf so they can lay vaguely flat onthe grass!


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more